How to Spill a formula

MiniFav

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the below formula which i would like to spill and pull in any rows which require a value.

The formula curently works but i have to drag it down to each row which i have had issue before where on the other work sheet if i were to add a row then the formulas adjust to the new row numbers but do not include the new row within the range. Where if i spill then this automatically adjusts including the new row.

The formula below is essentially checking if Cell 1 is empty, check if either Cells 2 and 3 have values, if so return position link required other wise do nothing.

Any help on explaining on how to get this forumla to spill will be appreciated. I have several types of formula i would like to convert to spill, so any explanation along with suggestions will be greatly appreciated too.

AMP Template V5 test.xlsx
C
1Task is Hard Time so Position Link expected.
2POSITION LINK REQUIRED
Errors
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=IF(AND(Configuration!$B$2:$B$3000="",OR('AB AMP DATA'!$M$2:$M$3000<>"",'AB AMP DATA'!$N$2:$N$3000<>"")),"POSITION LINK REQUIRED","")

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I think ive worked it out myself, its just the order of things needed changing.

AMP Template V5 test.xlsx
C
1Task is Hard Time so Position Link expected.
2POSITION LINK REQUIRED
4POSITION LINK REQUIRED
Errors
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C3000C2=IF('AB AMP DATA'!$M$2:$M$3000<>"",IF(Configuration!$B$2:$B$3000="","POSITION LINK REQUIRED",IF('AB AMP DATA'!$N$2:$N$3000<>"",IF(Configuration!$B$2:$B$3000="","POSITION LINK REQUIRED",""),"")),"")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
FYI it wasn't just the order. AND and OR return single results, not arrays, so they won't spill.

Upvote 0
Solution
FYI it wasn't just the order. AND and OR return single results, not arrays, so they won't spill.
Thank you for this information! is there a list or general rule of functions which will prevent the spill?

Upvote 0
Generally speaking any function that works with arrays to produce a single result - e.g. SUM, MIN, MAX. That's why they've introduced (though I think it's in Insider builds only at the moment) functions like BYROW.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back