How to start a vookup and get data from a number of sheets?

Kyledrew

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi my names Kyle I just joined this forum for help on my v lookup problem. I'm new to excel and my boss requires me to be able to do a vookup to make things easier every month for stats. He wants me to set up one where it can find data on other sheets and when I update my spreadsheet the information automatically updates for duplicates, how long it took to install equipment, if they died or went hospital etc. I just wanted to know if anyone can explain how to start this simply for me as I keep looking at videos and can't get my head around it. Even if someone can start a v lookup for me for general data for clients equipment, installation dates, I'd number, package number, date of install, name and postcode etc I'd appreciate it ?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi Kyledrew,

The challenge you're likely to have stems from the comment "find data on other sheets" because VLOOKUP will only work on searching one sheet (unless you start nesting VLOOKUPS). There are a limited number of functions which work across multiple sheets, which Microsoft calls 3D, and there was recently a similar question which you can see here: Clueless, inventory quick search

Some challenges can be overcome by design changes and some solutions will depend on how many sheets and rows of data are involved (for performance considerations).

To answer your questions for one sheet querying one other sheet:

Here's my data
KyleDrew.xlsx
AB
1AnimalNumber
2Dog11
3Cat22
4Goat33
5Mole44
Animals

Here's my query:
KyleDrew.xlsx
AB
1SearchFound
2Goat33
Query
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=VLOOKUP(A2,Animals!$A$2:$B$9,2,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back