How to stop automatic fitting to page

wndyohh

I am completely confounded by a problem in Excel 2007 with resizing fonts and graphics even though I do not have 'fit to page' selected and I have scale to fit at 100%.

I have a rectangle with a text box which i have sized at exactly .25" tall and 10.75" wide on a landscape sheet with left and right margins set at .125" each (so taking advantage of the full 11" width of the page). I have "Don't move or size with cells" selected on the rectangle properties, yet my rectangle width is constantly changing - and shows two different values depending on whether I'm in Normal view or Page Layout view (the delta is approximately a quarter inch - the amount of my margins).

My printer is set to PDF Printer, but i've tried changing that to other printers and it doesn't help. I will eventually print my workbook to a pdf for customer presentation.

While different sheets may have a different number of columns, I have all of the column widths on the sheets distributed so they add up to exactly 10.75" yet when I look at my sheet in Page Layout view, i'm not filling the page margin-to-margin with data or the data is running off to the next page. I've adjusted up and down by minor increments and just can't seem to get it to fill the page at 10.75" left to right consitently (not having top to bottom issues).

It also looks like Excel is kerning fonts on some pages in Print Preview mode (or on the printed page). I don't want it to do any kerning. I'm using Calibri in various sizes from 8 to 14.

Can anyone help point me to an explanation (and hopefully a fix) for this?

Thanks for reading!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
It seems those in the know don't have an answer for this - and I am sorry about that because I have had the same problem.

What I finally did was take out the text box and merge the cells underneath to the desired rectangle shape and formated to wrapped the text. In my case it was someone else who designed the workbook that way - but do you really require the text box?

Upvote 0
i did the merged cells first, but wanted to apply some shading and extrusion to the rectangle for a nice sheet header look. Gradient shading in a merged box looks a little grain-y and what i really wanted was the shading and bevel effect - can't get that on a cell as far as I know.

The kerning and resizing of simple text is what has me so confounded! What happened to WYSIWYG?!

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken, most printers have an inherant 0.25" they must have as a border, as they cannot print all the way to the edge of a page. Try adjusting your margins to 0.25", and adjust the textbox accordingly.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mr Kowz for your suggestion. I had already tried that one too, used various larger margins as well. No dice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back