How to stop Excel's "Save As" function from defaulting to Text (Tab) on XLS files?

ExcelUser1148

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So whenever I attempt to save a fresh excel file, it will have my default save as option as XLSX.
But I frequently have to download XLS files and then edit them. Whenever I finish I go to save as, and it tries to save it as a text (tab delim) file every single time.

I have checked and confirmed that if I go to Options -> Save -> Save Files in this Format, the option selected is Excel Workbook.

Someone please tell me there's a way to fix this issue.
Having to remember to change it every single time is annoying and becomes a huge hassle if they don't get saved right.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
It sounds like your downloaded files are not really .xls but text tab delimited just named as .xls - is that the case?

Upvote 0
It sounds like your downloaded files are not really .xls but text tab delimited just named as .xls - is that the case?
Well they're files that when downloaded are .xls and open up in excel by default. Don't really know anything more about the origin than that.
Does it matter in regards to making it not saving as a text tab by default?

Upvote 0
Well they're files that when downloaded are .xls and open up in excel by default. Don't really know anything more about the origin than that.
Does it matter in regards to making it not saving as a text tab by default?
Yes, it matters - Excel remembers what type of file was opened. If those files are not really .xls then that is the cause. You can test by opening one (before you do anything to it) with Notepad - if it is readable text, then it is not an .xls file.

Upvote 0
Yes, it matters - Excel remembers what type of file was opened. If those files are not really .xls then that is the cause. You can test by opening one (before you do anything to it) with Notepad - if it is readable text, then it is not an .xls file.
I won't be able to reach them until monday, is it possible for you to provide any ideas on what to for the scenarios of them being xls files and for them being txt files? Or if it is outright impossible if it was originally a txt to make it change the default save-as to xlsx?

Upvote 0
If it was originally a txt then you'd be better off doing some VBA to save your file as .xls instead of relying on the defaults of the interface.

Upvote 0
If it was originally a txt then you'd be better off doing some VBA to save your file as .xls instead of relying on the defaults of the interface.
Is it just impossible on the default interface? Don't have any experience with VBA sadly so I imagine it'd end up being easier to use the default.

Upvote 0
I don't think you understand - if you open a text file, then the default Save As option is text. That's the way Excel works. I'm wondering about where you are downloading from, and what download options you have ... do you have an option of .xlsx file?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back