how to store values in subform

ckib

Board Regular
Hi everyone, here is my latest challenge. I need to look up values in a table, then store those values into a control on a subform. So, for each record in tblIndustry I need to store the value of the field 'industry'. My code doesn't work if there are multiple industry records for a contact ... because all the values are stored into the same control. Could someone tell me how to "reference" mutiple occurrences in the subform? Here is my code so far ... Thanks!

' find industry records from source contact

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblIndustry WHERE (((tblIndustry.in_contactID)=" & lngContactID & "));"

Set myRS = myDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

' add new industry values to subform

myRS.MoveFirst

Do Until myRS.EOF
Forms![frmContact]![frmContactIndustry_Sub]![List_industry].Value = myRS!industry
myRS.MoveNext
Loop

myRS.Close
Set myRS = Nothing

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
The control is a combo box with limit to list = true.

Does the type of control determine how to reference multiple instances?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi

I don't have time to look at Access just now but I think you need to look at the ComboBox.Items collection as opposed to the ComboBox.Value - the Value can and will only hold one Value, the Items collection can and does hold 1> values. I think you need to use something like ComboBox.Items.Add("This is the Item")

Hope that helps
Martin

Upvote 0
I tried:

Forms![frmContact]![frmContactIndustry_Sub]![List_industry].Items.Add (myRS!industry)

but get the error:

Object doesn't support this property or method.

What I need is the functionality of the AddItem method, but it can only be used when the RowSourceType property is set to 0 (None).

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Is the only alternative setting the RowSourceType property to 0 and programmatically updating/adding/deleting records in the table (bound to the subform)???

Can the RowSourceType property be set to 0 just for this task, then set back to it's normal setting?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi

If you're using the items.add method you need to add one item at a time (whereas it looks like you're trying to add all items in your myRS!industry object). To do this you'd need to step through each of the items in your RS and add them one at a time (pseudo code below):

With RS
.MoveFirst
do while not .EOF
combobox.items.add .Fields("industry").Value
.movenext
loop
end with

HTH
Martin

Upvote 0
I did code a loop:

find industry records from source contact

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblIndustry WHERE (((tblIndustry.in_contactID)=" & lngContactID & "));"

Set myRS = myDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

' add new industry values to subform

myRS.MoveFirst

Do Until myRS.EOF
Forms![frmContact]![frmContactIndustry_Sub]![List_industry].Items.Add (myRS!industry)
myRS.MoveNext
Loop

myRS.Close
Set myRS = Nothing

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back