How to sum multiple if statements for a scorecard (designate points for correct response)

bobletcs123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
Trying to put together a scorecard for my sister for her elementary class. They are doing a fun little blind taste test activity... see if you can tell the difference between brands.
I have a manual scorecard, but was trying to see if I could come up with one to automate the scoring.

Want to be able to give a 1 if they match, and 0 if they dont, then be able to sum for each round.
Example: Taste test Frys.
McDonalds= 1
Wendys = 2
Burger King = 3

C is persons guess, U is the answer key. My thought was if they match, give them a 1, then just sum up .... Obviously, didn't work : )
1669734431845.png

Points cell C5,D5,etc=SUM(IF(C2=$U$2,"1",IF(C3=$U$3,"1",IF(C4=$U$4,"1",0))))

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Thanks for the info! Updated my profile.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Trying to put together a scorecard for my sister for her elementary class. They are doing a fun little blind taste test activity... see if you can tell the difference between brands.
I have a manual scorecard, but was trying to see if I could come up with one to automate the scoring.

Want to be able to give a 1 if they match, and 0 if they dont, then be able to sum for each round.
Example: Taste test Frys.
McDonalds= 1
Wendys = 2
Burger King = 3

C is persons guess, U is the answer key. My thought was if they match, give them a 1, then just sum up .... Obviously, didn't work : )
View attachment 79831

Points cell C5,D5,etc=SUM(IF(C2=$U$2,"1",IF(C3=$U$3,"1",IF(C4=$U$4,"1",0))))

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I am on: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2202 Build 16.0.14931.20764) 64-bit

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
Excel Formula:
=(C2=$U$2)+(C3=$U$3)+(C4=$U$4)

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back