How to Sum the same cell across all sheets from 1 to current

DownUnderFar

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I created a workbook with 10 tabs, named 01, 02, 03 and 04. First I want to sum Cells A1-A4 and put them in B1 to Sheet 01. Second, I want to Sum A1-A4 of both Sheets 01 and 02 and place that in Cell B1 of Sheet 02. This I want to take the Sum of cells A1-A4 on sheets 01, 02, and 03 and place it in tab B1 of Sheet 03

I created the first sheet and place the formula in Cell B1 =Sum('01'!A1:A4)
I then copied the sheet 3 times and named them 02, 03, 04
Then in Sheet 02 I used the replace tool to replace '01'! with '01:02'! However excel keeps wanting to reference an external document or workbook.

My intention was to go to Sheet 03 and replace '01'! with '01:03'! but I didn't get that far.

Why do I keep getting the request for the external workbook?

A different solution is if I were to change the sheet names to 1, 2, 3, and 4. Then in cell C1 I could enter type the sheet number. If I could then sum the values of cells A1-A4 of sheets 1 - [Value of cell C1] that would work if anyone knows how to write that.

Finally, I tried using the sheet[number], the master sheet# that you find in VBA. I made sure the the sheet named 01 was sheet1 and the sheet named 02 was sheet2, etc. When I try to sum the range A1:A4 from 'sheet1:sheetX'! it says it can not find the sheet and wants to open an external link.

I tried to create a mini-sheet but the symptoms don't reproduce the same.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Is this of any help?

Upvote 0
It kind of isn't. The 'begin:end' concept is really the same as me doing '01:10' for all sheets. WhatI want is for sheet 01 to calculate all of the same cells in sheet 01, sheet 2 to be '01:02', sheet 03 to be '01:03', sheet4 to be '01:04', etc. I was hoping to be able to replace the second number with either the sheet name or a reference a cell and I will type the sheet name in that cell.

But more importantly, why do I keep getting the prompt about reference to an external link? I never added an external link.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I am wrong but if you have the Sum of Range("A1:A4") in Range("B1") then in Sheet2 you could Sum Range("A1:A4") of Sheet2 + Sheet1.Range("B1") in Range("B1").
Enter the formulas with a macro.
Code:
Sub Maybe()
Dim i As Long
Sheets("01").Range("B1").Formula = "=SUM(A1:A4)"
    For i = 2 To ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Count
        Sheets(i).Range("B1").Formula = "=SUM(A1:A4)+'" & Sheets(Sheets(i).Index - 1).Name & "'!B1"
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back