How to sum values of the year till 31/12 and reset to 0 on 1/1 for years running totals?

LRATOZ

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Howdy,
I have been recording rainfall data since 15/11/2015. I used to have mutiple sheets for each year but I've learned that it makes more sense to have one table in one data sheet that has all the raw data in it.
So, I've got running data since 15/11/2015.
I was able to write my formulas for the monthly totals.
I've used the formula: =IF(DAY($B28)=1,F28,F28+G27).
This formula checks for the day and if the day is the 1st of the month then basically it resets itself and starts from scratch again (But it checks for the rainfall value on the 1st day of the month).
Now I want to sum the values of the daily rainfall until 31/12 of the year and then it needs to reset to zero again. However, if there is rainfall recorded on 1/1 it should incorporate that value.
I have been using a formula like this: =IF(AND(DAY($B20)=31,MONTH($B20)=12), SUM($F19:$F20),F20+G19) but it only seesm to work till the end of the month and not the year.
I also want to see the running data value on each day of the year.
I have added a screenshot for clarity.
Excel screenshot.JPG

But as you can see it didn't do what I wanted to do when the year changes.
I know I can make sums for each individual year but that's not the point as I want to see this happening automaticcaly.
In real life this spreadsheet is much more complex as I record temperatures, wind speed, etc. So, once I got this formula correct I can then easily adjust it for the other data.
Could somebody take a close look at this and forward me your comments/suggestions?
I can forward more screenshots if required.
Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day!
Cheers,

Luke

I simulated this scenario with a smaller data set and it behaves exactly the same.
When I add a new row to the table the values in the last formula jump one row.
I am puzzled why it does so.

Attachments

• Excel screenshot5.JPG
    Excel screenshot5.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Use this at row 1884 then drag it up & down.
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((OFFSET($F$4,0,0,ROW(F1884)-ROW($F$4),1))*(YEAR(OFFSET($B$4,0,0,ROW(B1884)-ROW($B$4),1))=YEAR(B1884)))

Upvote 0
Try this finally working:
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(INDEX(OFFSET($F$4,0,0,ROW(F1884)-ROW($F$4)+1,1),0,1)*(YEAR(INDEX(OFFSET($B$4,0,0,ROW(B1884)-ROW($B$4)+1,1),0,1))=YEAR(B1884)))

Upvote 0
Solution
Try this finally working:
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(INDEX(OFFSET($F$4,0,0,ROW(F1884)-ROW($F$4)+1,1),0,1)*(YEAR(INDEX(OFFSET($B$4,0,0,ROW(B1884)-ROW($B$4)+1,1),0,1))=YEAR(B1884)))
Dear Maabadi,
I'm lost for words of gratitude for all your help and effort; Thank you very much for doing this!
I am at work at the moment and therefore unable to try it out but I will do so over the weekend.
This seems like a very impressive formula. I would never have been able to come up with something like that. It seems you got a great professional understanding of Excel.
Once again thank you and I will get back to you with the results soon.
Cheers,

Luke

Upvote 0
You're Welcome & Thanks for feedback.
Hi Maabadi,
Your solutions works great! No more green triangles and all values are correct.
However, the only thing that doesn't seem to happen is that when I click TAB at the end of the table, and a new row appears, the formulas aren't automatically copied.
I have a tick next to "Fill formulas in tables to create calculated columns" (Options - Proofing - AutoCorrect Options - Autoformat As you type), so, one would expect it should work.
I use Microsoft Excel 2016. In my other spreadsheets the formulas are automatically added when I insert a new row at the end.
Any idea what this could be caused by?
I will click on the Tick box of this post to indicate that the problem has been solved.
Thanks mate.
Luke

Upvote 0
Are you have tick this option.

Attachments

• 1122.jpg
    1122.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
Are you have tick this option.
Yes, all three the boxes are ticked but to no avail. Very strange isn't it?
On other spreadsheets that function works (Copying formulas automatically when a new row is inserted). Just not on this one.

Upvote 0
Sorry. this one exactly strange!!!
If you can copy data to new spreadsheet and then write formula & test it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back