How to turn Macro Recorder code to a dynamic range

JamesonMH

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Whenever I record a macro to code a series (i.e. 10-30 steps) of simple steps (e.g. add/delete columns, new column headers, insert formulas and copy down to bottom), it often includes many instances of the formulas going to the very bottom of the data set. Super basic.

But each time I run the macro on a new data set I have to Ctrl+Find/Replace to change the last row values (i.e. A2:A45156, then A2:53218, etc.) in the VBA window.

Because I'm using the macro recorder the code is super long and it just seems inefficient having to always change the last row number. (And I know there are quicker ways but the code solutions online seem really long - i.e. I wouldn't know where/how many times to insert the solution code!)

Once I record my steps is there is a short/clean way to add a code so I don't have to keep doing this find/replace on the last row of active data?

Many thanks.

James

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Define the last row as a variable, ie

Code:
Dim lr as long
lr=Range("A" & rows.count).end(xlup).row

Now instead of having to manually adjust the last row, you can use the variable lr. In this case you would define the range as
Code:
Range("A2:A" & lr)

Upvote 0
you could also post the code you are using, we can then show you how to "clean" it up to get rid of the redundant line of recorded code !

Upvote 0
Define the last row as a variable, ie

Code:
Dim lr as long
lr=Range("A" & rows.count).end(xlup).row

Now instead of having to manually adjust the last row, you can use the variable lr. In this case you would define the range as
Code:
Range("A2:A" & lr)

Thanks Alan, that's a really concise/effective code. It's funny when I first looked online on some websites I didn't find anything nearly as clean as this code of yours. I really appreciate your help - this will save me tons of time doing Find/Replace...

James

Upvote 0
you could also post the code you are using, we can then show you how to "clean" it up to get rid of the redundant line of recorded code !

That's a really generous offer Michael, but you may regret it! The code from the recorder made it a pretty long & ugly script (redundant would be an understatement). There's one section that has the same repetitive code over and over for many rows.

Luckily what I recorded was only about 30 steps or so (all really easy stuff - insert some rows/formulas, drag to bottom, change some formatting, a text to columns to fix a date column, etc.). It's hard for me to follow though since the nicely structured VBA that you guys share on mrexcel (i.e. declaring variables, comments in the code to make it understandable, etc.) isn't part of what the macro recorder spits out.

If you're still willing to help please reply and I'll post it tomorrow evening.

Thanks

James

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know I may regret the offer, but if we don't like we won't do it.
Usually the line can be removed in large blocks, so it may not be too bad.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back