How to use concatenate to group times (hh:mm) and retain time format.

Obwan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list of opening hours which need to be entered on our website in a format different than the way the user enters the information on their excel form.

The format on the user form is:

Row 1 – Column 1: Mon, Column 2: 8:00AM, Column 3: 5:30 PM
Row 2 – Column 1: Tues, Column 2: 8:00AM, Column 3: 5:30 PM
Etc.
I need to enter it as
Mon 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM|Tues 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM |etc
I initially tried to use = CONCATENATE(A35," ",B35," - ",C35,"|",) the result is Mon 0.333333333333333 - 0.729166666666667|
I would like to copy and paste. Is there a way to get the format I need without manually typing it out?

Thank you in advance.

Mon 08:00 AM-05:30 PM | Tue 08:00 AM-05:30 PM | Wed 08:00 AM-05:30 PM | Thu 08:00 AM-05:30 PM | Fri 08:00 AM-05:30 PM | Sat 08:00 AM-01:00 PM | Sun Closed- Closed |
I don't care where the data wraps when I paste it. I just want it continuous. I tried , = , another &. best result "False"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hey Obwan

=A35&" "&TEXT(B35,"hh:mm am/pm")&"-"&TEXT(C35,"hh:mm am/pm")&" |"
=A36&" "&TEXT(B36,"hh:mm am/pm")&"-"&TEXT(C36,"hh:mm am/pm")&" |"

TEXT(C35,"hh:mm am/pm") the text between the "'s is the format for the value, can't add other text to that.
Any time you want to join the values of two or more cells together you can use the & as a text join.
In the current version of excel they have also included textjoin() as a new function. It allows you to join a series of cells and specify a text separator, much better than the old concatenate()

So if you had data in D1 to D7 you wanted to join with a | between you could use:
Excel Formula:
=textjoin("|",TRUE,D1:D7)
The true / false option in the middle is for ignoring blanks

Upvote 0
Solution
Hey Obwan

=A35&" "&TEXT(B35,"hh:mm am/pm")&"-"&TEXT(C35,"hh:mm am/pm")&" |"
=A36&" "&TEXT(B36,"hh:mm am/pm")&"-"&TEXT(C36,"hh:mm am/pm")&" |"

TEXT(C35,"hh:mm am/pm") the text between the "'s is the format for the value, can't add other text to that.
Any time you want to join the values of two or more cells together you can use the & as a text join.
In the current version of excel they have also included textjoin() as a new function. It allows you to join a series of cells and specify a text separator, much better than the old concatenate()

So if you had data in D1 to D7 you wanted to join with a | between you could use:
Excel Formula:
=textjoin("|",TRUE,D1:D7)
The true / false option in the middle is for ignoring blanks
Thank you rondeondo, will have a go at this.
Perfect, I just did this. I created the 7 individual formulas then used the textjoin to merge them all into 1 line.
I will hide the 7 lines and just show the textjoin result, which I will use to copy and paste.
Thank you for your help, knowledge and patience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back