How to use Cube functions to perform Sumifs ( sum range , Start Date array, <=specific month end, End Date array, >=specific month end)

Topher60657

Hello,

I am trying to replicate standard excel functionality using cube functions. I have employee transactional data. This data contains a unique ID, an effective date, and an employee status - active or term. The data is sorted by empl id and effective date, both ascending. From this data I can add a column in Power Query with end date. I also add a column that indicates if each row is associated with an Active (A) employee, 1 or Termed (T) employee, 0.

So an excerpt of the data would look like:

Empl ID EE Status Start Date End Date Headcount
1 A 1/16/2007 9/30/2007 1
1 A 10/1/2007 10/1/2007 1
1 A 10/2/2007 1/31/2009 1
1 T 2/1/2009 2/9/2016 0

This row of data says employee 1 was active from Jan 2007 to Sept 2007. Something changed to his attributes, and he was active on 10/1/2007, then something else happened and he was active from 10/2/2007 to 1/31/2009. The employee was termed on 2/1/2009 and his headcount is no longer counted, thus the 0.

I load the power pivot data model with this data.

I am a huge fan of the cube functions and I was wondering if it is possible to build the table below using the power pivot data.

My desired result would look like this:

Rows of month end dates. In the values field, sum the Headcount column if the Start Date is <= the month end date AND the End Date >=month end date.

Month End Value
1/31/2007 1
2/28/2007 1
1/31/2009 1
2/28/2009 0

The sumifs formula would be =sumifs([headcount],[Start Date],"<="&Month End,[End Date],">="&Month End) - can this be replicated using cube functions or utilizing any other functionality in excel, while maintaining the Power BI/Excel Online functionality?

Currently I have a pivot table loaded with calculated columns for each month end that performs the logic. The problem with this approach is that I have a ton of columns and that isn't good form.

Thanks so much for your help!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
The problem with cube formulas is the list of dates doesn't grow when your data grows - pivot tables do grow. Putting that aside, just creat the pivot table and then convert it to cube formulas. OLAP TOOLS\CONVERT TO FORMULA

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking a look at this question. I have converted the pivot table to formulas but the challenge is, I current can't get my desired result using a pivot table. The cubemember is a specific date and the cubevalue is based on a specific date in my table. I am wondering if it is possible to write a cubevalue function that is based on date ranges or multiple cubemembers.... that function like the sumifs function? I took a look at another post....could I create a new data table in power pivot with my date values in rows. Next add a calculated column that would sum the headcount column in my employee data based on logic?

I appreciate this forum so much.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If it is possible then I'd probably suggest finding someone skilled in MDX.

From what I can tell, however, you would be better off doing most of the work in DAX and referencing that with cube formulas if you really want to.

Upvote 0
I current can't get my desired result using a pivot table.

Oh, ok. Before you said your pivot table that performs the logic, so I assumed it must be working in a pivot.

I have no doubt you can do this in DAX without SUMIFS. Once it is working in Power Pivot, you have a choice if you use cube formulas or a pivot table.

It is very difficult to help unless you post a sample workbook that contains realistic data, a pivot table and measures that you have written (some probably not working) and a simulated pivot showing the answer you are expecting.

So if you can post a sample, I will take a look.

PS: I don't think you need MDX.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back