How to use excel data to create printable forms

jimmy the saint

My gf is a teacher who has a unique job that entails teaching 9 different levels at 5 different schools. It can be very overwhelming at times. She does a good job at tracking most everything in excel, but she still needs to do many things by hand, like grade sheets and progress reports. Since she has most of the data already in excel, I would like to be able to replicate these forms and use the data in excel to fill them out.
It would need to work as follows. Each students data is in a row in excel. The relevant data for each student would be taken from excel and put in the appropriate field in the form, then printed or saved. Each row (student) would wind up with a unique form. I do not know how to do this with excel, or even if excel is the right tool for the job. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? If it is possible, would it be more trouble than its worth?
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
thanks john, but both of these links show how to build forms to get data into excel. I'm trying to figure out how to use data that is already in excel to create documents that are populated. I suppose it would be similar to a mail merge in which a single form (a letter) has certain sections that are generated based on individual bits of information (recipients). In this case, though, I would like to build a form that has fields populated with specific data from rows in excel. In this case each row is a student, and the fields would be their grades and performance information.

Upvote 0
A UserForm can work both ways, adding data, or retrieving data from the sheet into the Form. Then you can Print the Form with the selected data as desired.
Take a look at this link:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa192538(office.11).aspx

Note the section talking about GetData and PutData about a third of the way down.
the GetData routine copies information from the worksheet, whereas the PutData routine copies data to the worksheet.

Upvote 0
The easist way would be to set up a Template in another sheet. Then use VLOOKUP based on the student's ID number to produce a report that can be printed.

Upvote 0
I have made a quick example, the only VBA would be if you wanted to run an auto print of all records. The data is in a Dynamic Named Range so data can be added and the formulas will pick up additions. Download here:

http://www.excel-it.com/TempFiles/PrintableForm.zip

Hi I have just visit your post...I want to see your printableform.zip but the link of the file is doesn't exist... can you give me another link of this one?

Thanks.....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back