How to use IF in MS Excel for getting specific column value?

Muhammad Toseef

I have a diseases dataset saved in MS Excel sheet, the format of the data is given below:

I have a diseases dataset saved in MS Excel sheet, the format of the data is given below:

HTML:
| Object Name     | Symptom 1       | Symptom 2       | Symptom 3         |...| Symptom N        | Disease     | 
|      ABC        |     1           |     0           |     0             |...| 1                |    XYZ      |
|      ABC        |     0           |     1           |     0             |...| 0                |    XYZ      |
|      ABC        |     1           |     0           |     1             |...| 1                |    XYZ      |
|      ABC        |     1           |     1           |     0             |...| 0                |    XYZ      |

where the first column is entering variable i.e name of some object and the leaving column i.e. last column is a disease name. The columns in between are the symptoms columns for the specific disease of that object.

Now, for each row in the sheet, I want to get all the symptoms attribute where the value is 1, i.e. this symptom is present, using Disease column as a decision variable. Logic is given below.
Code:
<code>
for each row in the sheet  </code><code>
 -->  IF (Disease = XYZ)
 --> Get all the Symptoms variables where value is 1</code>
<code>

The desired result for the first rows is as follow;

HTML:
Row 1 --> XYZ (Symptom1) 
Row 2 --> XYZ (Symptom2) 
Row 3 --> XYZ (Symptom1, Symptom3) 
Row 4 --> XYZ (Symptom1, Symptom2)

How can I do this in MS Excel, using IF formula? Help in this regard will be highly appreciated.</code>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Welcome to the forum.

If you have Excel 2016 or newer, that has the TEXTJOIN function, you could do something like this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1Object NameSymptom 1Symptom 2Symptom 3Symptom 4Symptom 5Symptom NDiseaseDiseasexyz
2ABC1001XYZSymptom 1, Symptom N
3ABC0100XYZSymptom 2
4ABC1011XYZSymptom 1, Symptom 3, Symptom N
5ABC1100XYZSymptom 1, Symptom 2
6DEF1001XXX
7DEF111111XXX
8DEF000000XXX
9DEF110101XXX

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet8

Array Formulas
CellFormula
L2{=IFERROR(TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,IF(INDEX($B$2:$G$9,SMALL(IF(($I$2:$I$9=$M$1)*(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET($B$2:$G$2,ROW($B$2:$B$9)-ROW($B$2),0))>0),ROW($I$2:$I$9)-ROW($I$2)+1),ROWS($M$2:$M2)),0)=1,$B$1:$G$1,"")),"")}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Put the formula in L2, change the ranges to match your sheet, then confirm with Control+Shift+Enter. Then drag it down the column as far as needed. Note that I included a section to exclude items such as row 8 where there are no 1s in any of the symptom columns.

If you don't have the TEXTJOIN function, you'll need some version of VBA. I can help with that, but first let me know if the output format is what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back