How to Use Query Created in SQL Server with a Front End Ms Access

JRSam

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everybody,

I am new to SQL server. I have been using Ms Access for nearly 6 yrs. Now That my database have grown in data, I decided to use SQL server as backend and Ms access as front end.

Right now I am learning all the steps to migrate my Ms Access backend to SQL server. But right now I would to know how to use a query created in SQL server by the Front end of Access. Is it possible?

Of course I have pass-through query resided in front end Access but what about a query created in SQL Server. Is it possible to use it by the Front end?

If yes, please step by step how. Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
If I understand well access can't use query created in SQL server except those created in access itself as pass-through query. Am I right?

Upvote 0
Sorry, realised that wasn't quite right and have been looking in here but got held up on calls.

I can add our server name, and find a side of it I haven't seen before system tables. But i'm struggling to find our databases.

Have you added your server?

1624598484002.png

Upvote 0
Got it, from there: Importxxx tickbox and OK; New: Select SQL Server and hit Advanced: type in server and DB details:NEXT:NEXT:type any name and next and FINISH

*that's the process now, though i'm sure another pop up had me confirm the DB name earlier.

So much more tedious than Excel, apologies for rushing the initial response.

Upvote 0
Yes my front end is already linked to the SQL server.

I got also my pass-through query.

But in my BackEnd(SQL Server), When I create a query, it is being saved in a folder. Is it possible that my Front End of Access be linked to the Query created in from SQL Server?

Because right now I have only all my tables linked and my pass-throug query linked

Upvote 0
I don't entirely follow your process sorry. In SQL Server I write a query against the Database on a SQL Server. In Access I am doing the same thing, no saving of the query in between.

Sorry for not fully understanding what you were after.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it is the way I explaining the situation. I'll try with photos

Upvote 0
Hope this can help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625_124345.jpg
    Screenshot_20210625_124345.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back