How to use text from a cell in a formula, so if I change the text, the formula changes to?

Want2BExcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a budget table. For each month there is a formula to get data from another sheet. But the text is "fixed", so for every post (row) I manually have to change this text in all 12 months (colums).
If I use a column to specify witch text I want in the formula and rewrite only the part of the formula that specify what text to look for, then my intention is that I only need to change the text in the new column to change it in every month column. Is that possible?

My formula is (hereunder) and it's the bold text that I want to change to get text from the extra column.

SUMIF(expected.expenses[text];"Health insurance";expected.expenses[July])

I have already tried the obvious way and just write C3, but then Excel can't find the matching text in the expected.expenses sheet...

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Is it possible to make a button that changes the formula?

Right now the formula is "pointing" to the expected.expenses. but when a month is over I import all the actual expenses in a new sheet. Now I, of course, know what I have to do to change the formula to point to the new sheet. But if I gave this budget to friends, they don't know what to do. So if there was a button, they just could click on and then a drop-down menu opens to choose witch month he/she would like to apply the "new" formula...voila :)

So from this:
Original in danish: =SUM.HVIS(ANSLÅET.UDGIFTER[Tekst];[@[Postering tekst]];ANSLÅET.UDGIFTER[Januar])
In english: =SUMIF(EXPECTED.EXPENSES[Text];[@[Postering text]];EXPECTED.EXPENSES[January])

To this:
Original in danish: =SUM.HVIS(BUDGET_JAN_22[Tekst];[@[Postering tekst]];BUDGET_JAN_22[Beløb])
In english: =SUMIF(BUDGET_JAN_22[Text];[@[Postering text]];BUDGET_JAN_22[Amount])

It would be amazing!

Upvote 0
As this is a totally different question, it needs a new thread. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back