How To Weigh Averages of Groups of Numbers Based on How Many Numbers in Group

chefelf

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas on how to do this. I've looked up Mode, Median, and Weighted Averages and I'm not sure which, if any would work.

Currently I have a spreadsheet of albums by different bands. Each song on each album has a rating and this gives an average for an album. The thing is if an album is relatively short (say has 5-6 songs) and some one of them gets a low rating it brings down the average substantially. Alternately an album with 10+ tracks has its rating barely affected by one low rating.

Can anyone think of a formula or way to weight the albums differently based on how many songs are contained on the album?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I think something like this is exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps if there was a "winning percentage" that could be added to the final score that would give the stats a little extra boost as an extra statistic.

Thank you for helping me think of it this way. I'll try to model something around this.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
You are welcome.

Perhaps if there was a "winning percentage" that could be added to the final score that would give the stats a little extra boost as an extra statistic.
Note that the average you are already using is actually the same thing as this "winning percentage". So you really are already doing this, as is.

To weight it would mean that not all songs are treated the same, that some are weighted more heavily than others.
Quite frankly, that seems rather arbitrary, and subject to personal whim (why would you weight some songs more than others? how would you decide that? and how much would you weight each one?).
In my opinion, that is getting away from an objective statistical analysis, and introducing a "bias" of sorts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back