How to work with leading zeros and vlookup

zombiemaster

Board Regular
Help needed...again...

I have a sheet that has 5-digit number codes in column B. I am trying to use a vlookup in column A to pull in names from a named table "CP_NAMES" in another workbook "Freeze Code Template".

Column B sometimes has leading zeros (1 or 2), which makes the vlookup give me an #N/A error.

Here's an example of what happens:

My code does a ton of formatting, inserting columns, deleting garbage data, etc.
Right before the vlookup happens, column B is formatted as General, the leading zeros are visible and the column is left-justified.
When I insert the vlookup into column A, all I get are #N/A errors.

I found code online to fix that, and it works great for everything except the leading zero rows:

Code:
    Sheets("WORKING-REPS").Select
    Columns("B:B").Select
    Selection.texttocolumns Destination:=Range("B1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
        TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, _
        Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
        :=Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

Range("A4").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=VLOOKUP(RC[1],'FREEZE CODE TEMPLATE.xltm'!CP_NAMES[#Data],2,FALSE)"
    Range("A4").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("A4:A" + endRow$)

After i run that code, the vlookup updates column A to show the names correctly (except for the leading zero rows). Also, column B is now right-justified and the leading zeros are no longer visible.

(FYI - I mark the endRow$ earlier in the code and use it repeatedly throughout the module. I know there are other ways of marking the end row but I'm accustomed to doing it this way...) ;)

So what I am looking for is an adjustment to the code above that will allow the leading zeros in column B to remain visible AND be able to be included for the vlookup formula to pull data from.

Thanks as always,
~ZM~

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Have you tried using a custom number format for the leading 0's data? Or adding an apostrophe so they're treated as text?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the thought, Reggie - and I did try the apostrophe but the vlookup did not recognize it. I looked through the list of custom formats but don't see anything useful there...

UPDATE: since it's a five-digit number, I tried setting it as ZIP CODE thinking that might be the trick...and it did make it so the leading zeros are visible, but the vlookup still won't work for those rows. :(

~ZM~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so after changing the formatting of my table to General and also formatting my column B to General to do the vlookup, it works...mostly... I can't see the leading zeros but hopefully management won't notice that part and I can get away with it for now.

If anyone has any solution for this so I can retain the leading zeros AND get the vlookup to work, I'm all ears...

Thanks!
~ZM~

Upvote 0
You can create your own customer number format. When you're in the custom format area, where it says Type: you can use 000##### or however many leading zeros you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back