how to write VBA code

richphi37

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone,

I'm very new to VBA, but Id like to be able to write it for myself instead of hunting for code online. I am having a hard time finding some of the specific ones that I need. Special thanks to @Wookie for helping me thus far, but does anyone know of a good tool to spin up a VBA beginner and get me to proficient?

Thanks Team

-Phil

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
About a two years ago I started seriously writing with VBA and first I would recommend Udemy. That helped me the greatest because it gives you a project to work on where everything works together. New users can get an entire course for life for about 10-20 bucks that will go over allllll of the basics you need to know and much more.

If you are looking for free information you are on the best site that I've found, but you have to take it step-by-step. LinkedIn has a lot of the same courses for free that Udemy sells and I use them all the time. WiseOwl has been recommended to me many, many times by many, many people however I still have yet to use it for no good reason. I really appreciate Excel Macro Mastery as well for how detailed it can be.

You mention @Wookie has helped you thus far, but it's hard to tell where that is. IF statements and For Loops are where I started and did a bulk of the work. I wish I learned Dictionaries and Collections earlier, but BY FAR the most important thing I wish I learned were the concepts like the Object Model. As cliche as it sounds, it's like any other language. You need to know how it works before you can start writing it and you'll save a heck of a lot of time by doing so.

I hope that gets somewhere in the ballpark of your question, but best of luck to you either way. The challenge is actually quite fun if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back