How would I do this - Access Exporting to Excel

tigers

At a previous employer, we had an access database set up with gl accounts and their balances. Then, if you pushed a button on a form in access, it would automatically populate our financial statements which were in excel. The cells that were populated were all over the spreadsheet so somehow access knew to put each piece of data in a certain cell on the spreadsheet. how would I do this? Unfortunately, I don't have a contact anymore. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Sounds like there was some code that was automating Excel with code in Access to populate the worksheet.

What that code is/was would really be dependent on both what you have in Access and what you want in Excel.

Perhaps if you can give some more information we can give some more specific help.

Upvote 0
I really don't have any other information than what I remember because I was the user and not the programmer. It seems likely that there may have been code that did this because the person that did it was very knowledgeable about access. I did look in Access help and there's a "transferspreadsheet" preset macro but it doesn't get me to the point of putting specific numbers in a table to a specific cell in excel. It looks more like just an export of a table to an excel spreadsheet. Thanks for trying though!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Is is possible that there was an external query in Excel to populate a sheet with data, then VLOOKUPs or another reference type formula populated the other sheet?

Smitty

Upvote 0
I don't think so. I just remember that after I pressed the button, the sheets within the spreadsheet would open and flash as all of the numbers were being populated. If it were a VLookup, I don't think that would happen. It's been awhile since I use it though. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's really hard to say without seeing the code or a mock-up of the sheet.

But if you saw the screen movement then it wasn't likely extremely complicated as the coder didn't turn off ScreenUpdating, which is pretty elementary.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back