Html maker - testers required!

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
As some of you may be aware, I have been making an add-in to produce html output of selected data in Excel. The output is fairly consistent with that produced by Excel Jeanie as can be seen here:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=241

the differences being:

1. the interface is a whole lot simpler
2. you can choose if you want to output all the formulas in selection or only some of them
3. the ouput colour-codes nesting levels in the formulas
4. it only does formulas and data (it doesn't report conditional formatting or data validation applied)
5. it comes as an .xla file rather than an .exe (so doesn't require Admin rights to install!)
6. the code is visible for anyone that wants to laugh (or cry) at it

The generated html should also be considerably simpler as much of the formatting and style elements are now held in a css file applied to the whole Board (Suat Ozgur has created a css class which I link to in the generated html).

It has been tested by me and Jon von der Heyden and feedback from Suat incorporated. What I need now is for some others to test and come back with any comments.

If you would like to see the file and perhaps test it, please Private Message me with your email address and I'll send you the .xla file and a .doc file with guidance notes:

The .xla file is approx 100Kb in size, so it isn't very big. It will work in all versions of Excel since xl2000, although I will be developing a specific xl2007 ribbon interface next.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Richard, I really like it so far. One thing for me that might be nice and not sure what others think, is when you click the Generate html code, is to have a message box or something come up saying that it is copied to the clipboard. But I guess after using it and understanding what happens, this is not necessary.

Only reason I say this, is because I clicked the dang on button like 10 times thinking it was doing nothing and then thought to myself I will try to paste it and voila what do you know it was already copied to the clipboard. :oops:

Upvote 0
Hi Rob - I think that's probably something for the Guide/FAQ (or maybe a popup tooltip).

Some other amendments that seem like a very good idea are:

1. Re-coding the way the grid is sent to the html output functions to account for the non-contiguos ranges

2. Outputting range name definitions that are contained in formulas

3. Just cleaning up the code because there's a whole lot of constants and stuff that are no longer used and probably need to be removed

Upvote 0
Richard,
Like the ability to right click...so much easier than going to the ribbon and clicking the drop downs...

couple things I would like to see
1) showing the cell colors (whether they are conditionally formatted or just fill colors)
2) gray shading in the row and column sections of the output (similar to Excel Jeanie)...i think it helps break up the sheet so it's easier to read...

only started testing so if i see anything else that would be helpful i'll post back...

is there (or could there) be a section or thread for just posting in some tests? what i've been doing is posting in the beta sheet into a thread and also posting in an excel jeanie sheet into a thread to see the diffs...then going back to delete one of them...it would be nice to just have a test dumping ground so i didn't need to do all the deleting...thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeff

Here's the testing thread:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387506

In response to questions:

1. Conditional Formatting analysis isn't built in to the code. I have no plans at the moment to do so either (too many other things to do). However, the code should pick up normal shading of the cells - are you not seeing this?

2. This should already be in place (see the test thread above) - again are you not seeing this? This may be due to the way Excel 2007 handles colours. I have not actually tried it on in 2007. Will have to give it a go. Thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
don't know what i was looking earlier...but just put a test out in that thread and regular fill seems to work as does the grey shading in the row/column....

Upvote 0
I'll look at including that functionality (right justification of numerics). Hopefully should be relatively straightforward.

Upvote 0
Richard,

Im trying the 30-Jun-09 version, and getting

"User-defiend type not defined"

at

Rich (BB code):
Sub Make_Grid(Optional ByVal generator_setting As FormulaSettings)

Dim rngWhole As Range
    Dim strOutput As String
    Dim objData As DataObject

is this not supposed to work with 2003?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back