Html Tags for Specific Words in a Cell

cyberjaze

Hi Everyone,

I have problem putting up html tags to every specific word in a cell. Let's say this praise.

JUAN: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?
MRS: Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!
The above is a conversation and I'd like to put <'b> <'/b> at the beginning and end to make the talking character's name in bold format when i uploaded it in the internet.

I target this result:

<'b>JUAN<'/b>: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?
<'b>MRS:<'/b> Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!
What I am thinking is replace first the : by the tag <'/b> (using usual excel feature) then add <'b> at the beginning of a word that contains <'/b>

That's the problem. How can I replace every word in a cell that contains the <'/b>. Or if there is a better idea, it will be much appreciated.

Hope someone can help me with this. Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Your formula will work if I plan to put the tag in each cell.

It's not actually what I am doing.

I need to put the tags <'b><'/b> in two or more words inside a single cell.

Thanks anyway.

*Please note that I will be working on many cells so manually doing it isn't so practical.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assuming the character names are single words or joined like Bob_Jones, you could try this.

To implement ..

1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. In the Visual Basic window use the menu to Insert|Module

3. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.

4. Close the Visual Basic window.

5. Enter the formula as shown in the screen shot below and copy down.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> AddBoldTags(s <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Static</SPAN> RegEx <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Object</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> RegEx <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> RegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> RegEx<br>            .Global = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>            .Pattern = "(\b\w+:)"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    AddBoldTags = RegEx.Replace(s, "<'b>$1<'/b>")<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN><br><br></FONT>

Excel Workbook
BC
2JUAN: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?MRS: Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!JUAN: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?MRS: Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!
3Bob_Jones: HelloJill:Hi Bobbig_bad_ben: GoodbyeBob_Jones: HelloJill:Hi Bobbig_bad_ben: Goodbye
Add HTML Tags

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Peter_SSs,

That's working GREAT! Thank you very much. It's so quick here :).

By the way, I actually be going to use different sort of tags. The code was very very helpful already but if it would allow. I'm thinking if we could modify the code a little to make formula a little like:

=AddBoldTags(A1,'beginning tag','end tag')

Thank you very much :)

Upvote 0
Hi Peter_SSs,

That's working GREAT! Thank you very much. It's so quick here :).

By the way, I actually be going to use different sort of tags. The code was very very helpful already but if it would allow. I'm thinking if we could modify the code a little to make formula a little like:

=AddBoldTags(A1,'beginning tag','end tag')

Thank you very much :)
Try this version.
Rich (BB code):
Function AddTags(s As String, starttag As String, endtag As String) As String
    Static RegEx As Object

If RegEx Is Nothing Then
        Set RegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
        With RegEx
            .Global = True
            .Pattern = "(\b\w+:)"
        End With
    End If
    AddTags = RegEx.Replace(s, starttag & "$1" & endtag)
End Function

Excel Workbook
BC
2JUAN: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?MRS: Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!JUAN: Honey, bakit MALI ang pinaglalagyan mong DALIRI ng WEDDING RING natin?MRS: Siyempre para TERNO! Mali din naman ang NAPANGASAWA ko eh!
3Bob_Jones: HelloJill:Hi Bobbig_bad_ben: GoodbyeBob_Jones: HelloJill:Hi Bobbig_bad_ben: Goodbye
Add HTML Tags (2)

Upvote 0
Try this version.
Rich (BB code):
Function AddTags(s As String, starttag As String, endtag As String) As String
    Static RegEx As Object

If RegEx Is Nothing Then
        Set RegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
        With RegEx
            .Global = True
            .Pattern = "(\b\w+:)"
        End With
    End If
    AddTags = RegEx.Replace(s, starttag & "$1" & endtag)
End Function

Excel Workbook
BC
Add HTML Tags (2)

very nice m8
Biz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back