Hyperlink formula to email with cc: not working

melodramatic

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got a hyperlink formula that is working fine, until I try to add the cc: to it, and then it flat-out bombs. I've re-written with the Excel tutorial lines open, counter ampersands, prayed and cussed, and it just won't work for me. I know it's probably a simple fix, and am hoping someone will share that fix with me.

The formula I have that IS working is...

=HYPERLINK("mailto:" & "accounting@abc.com"
& "?subject=" & "Reclassification of Expenses"
& "&body=" & "Attached is a listing of the expenses that need to be reclassified from Group-D to Group A. An explanation of each receipt is listed to go along with the totals.","eMail Accounting")

But, when I try to add the cc:, it's just failing. I've tried a couple of different ways, and in both ways, I get a #VALUE! in the cell. (on all of these, returns are added in the code for ease of reading).

& "?cc=" & "managerA@abc.com" & "; " & "managerB@abc.com"
& "&subject=" & "Reclassification of Expenses"
& "&body=" & "Attached is a listing of the expenses that need to be reclassified from Group-A to Group B. An explanation of each receipt is listed to go along with the totals.","eMail Accounting")

=HYPERLINK("mailto:" & "accounting@abc.com" & "?"
& "cc=" & "managerA@abc.com" & "; " & "managerB@abc.com"
& "&subject=" & "Reclassification of Expenses"
& "&body=" & "Attached is a listing of the expenses that need to be reclassified from Group-A to Group B. An explanation of each receipt is listed to go along with the totals.","eMail Accounting")

& "&cc=" & "managerA@abc.com" & "; " & "managerB@abc.com"
& "?subject=" & "Reclassification of Expenses"
& "&body=" & "Attached is a listing of the expenses that need to be reclassified from Group-D to Group A. An explanation of each receipt is listed to go along with the totals.","eMail Accounting")

I've tried all the formula variations above with only one email for the cc, and I still get the same error. Help?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You might be running into the 255 characters per formula issue. When I copy your first cc formula, delete the carriage returns, and delete "with the totals" from the body, it works for me. Otherwise, I get #VALUE like you did.

A similar issue is here, but it doesn't look like there was a satisfactory answer there either. Google searching didn't help me. There are suggestions about using CONCATENATE or '&' to join long strings, but I couldn't get it to work in the hyperlink formula. Using CONCAT on its own worked fine, but when referencing that cell in HYPERLINK, it failed. Using multiple cell references in the hyperlink formula also did not work when the result of all text concatenated together was longer than 255 characters.

Upvote 0
Solution
Ah, so let me try putting the body in a cell that it references instead of typing it out. I'll let you know how that goes...

Upvote 0
OK, even putting the body in another cell and referencing it, it runs past the limit. I'm glad you figured that error out!

I simply removed the entire last sentence from the body. They'll figure out by the list of receipts that the list is there. And, luckily, both emails do indeed show up in the cc: slot! :)

Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back