Hyperlink Problem

rickylee

I have 2 workbooks that are linked to one another with multiple links. In book one you have links to book 2 and in book 2 you have return links to book 1. (Kind of like a webpage). Well if you insert a line(s) into book 1, all the return links after the inserted lines are off by how ever many lines were added. Anyway to keep the return links from book 2 locked to the destination cells in book 1 even if you add more lines. Would be a big help.
Thanks, rick

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
Welcome to the board...

Not sure if the hyperlinks you are dealing with were inserted using the Insert | Hyperlink... menu option or using a =HYPERLINK() formula. I'm thinking it's the latter because I couldn't figure out a way to interactively link to a specific location in another workbook.

So I assume your hyperlink formula looks something like:<ul>[*]=HYPERLINK("[c:\documents and settings\trubyg\my documents\book2.xls]Sheet2!$A$5","My link")[/list]The fix is to use a named range; i.e. the formula would now look like:<ul>[*]=HYPERLINK("[c:\documents and settings\trubyg\my documents\book2.xls]Sheet2!MyNamedRange","My link")[/list]

rickylee

Will try

I am actually using the insert-hyperlink, then going to (existing file), (bookmark) and then the desired cell in book number 2. Then the return link is the same, but desired cell in book number 1. Again when a new line is added in book 1, it throughs off all the return links by that one line. I am still new to the hyperlink deal, so you will have to give me the "excel for dummies" version...

Thanks again

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
Ah, yup, there it is. The solution remains the same. Name the target range in the target workbook. Then if you insert or delete rows, the link still works since the workbook automatically updates the cell reference for named ranges as it moves about. When you click the bookmark button in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box it also lists named ranges.

rickylee

Thank you so much. I think I am going to cry now, lol. This will work perfectly, you are a life saver.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelGlenn