Hyperlink Problem

rickylee

I have 2 workbooks that are linked to one another with multiple links. In book one you have links to book 2 and in book 2 you have return links to book 1. (Kind of like a webpage). Well if you insert a line(s) into book 1, all the return links after the inserted lines are off by how ever many lines were added. Anyway to keep the return links from book 2 locked to the destination cells in book 1 even if you add more lines. Would be a big help.
Thanks, rick

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Welcome to the board...

Not sure if the hyperlinks you are dealing with were inserted using the Insert | Hyperlink... menu option or using a =HYPERLINK() formula. I'm thinking it's the latter because I couldn't figure out a way to interactively link to a specific location in another workbook.

So I assume your hyperlink formula looks something like:<ul>[*]=HYPERLINK("[c:\documents and settings\trubyg\my documents\book2.xls]Sheet2!$A$5","My link")[/list]The fix is to use a named range; i.e. the formula would now look like:<ul>[*]=HYPERLINK("[c:\documents and settings\trubyg\my documents\book2.xls]Sheet2!MyNamedRange","My link")[/list]

Upvote 0
Will try

I am actually using the insert-hyperlink, then going to (existing file), (bookmark) and then the desired cell in book number 2. Then the return link is the same, but desired cell in book number 1. Again when a new line is added in book 1, it throughs off all the return links by that one line. I am still new to the hyperlink deal, so you will have to give me the "excel for dummies" version...

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Ah, yup, there it is. The solution remains the same. Name the target range in the target workbook. Then if you insert or delete rows, the link still works since the workbook automatically updates the cell reference for named ranges as it moves about. When you click the bookmark button in the Insert Hyperlink dialog box it also lists named ranges.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. I think I am going to cry now, lol. This will work perfectly, you are a life saver.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back