Hyperlink problem

BarnBrian

Board Regular
I have an excel workbook with hyperlinks in a column of cells which link to Word documents which are on Desktop. If I move the excel file then the to another location the hyperlinks don't work, I assume this would be the same if I copied both the Word and Excel file to another computer. Is there any way I can set up the links so they will always work.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
If both the Excel file and the word documents were on your desktop to begin with you should be able to move them anywhere as long as they remain in the same directory.

If they aren't in the same directory it might be more difficult but should be workable provided you create a similar directory structure on the target machine.

I used to have that problem with hyperlinks but I don't seem to have it anymore. I'm not sure if I upgraded excel (working with 2003 now) or if it has something to do with how the hyperlinks are set. Or maybe there's some option I found that I don't remember.

If the files use some sort of standard naming convention, you could just write a macro to reset all the hyperlinks after you move the files. If not, you might be able to write a macro to read all the hyperlinks before you move the files then use that info to reset the hyperlinks after the move.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back