Hyperlink to first 3 characters in folder name

Kiloelectronvolt

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All!

I'm looking to do a hyperlink that will pull data from the cell and find the appropriate folder.

Column A will have 5 digits numbers in it. IE (28102) and the windows folder would be M:\Project Folder\281-VARIABLE JOB NAME

So I would like to click on 28102 and have it take me to the windows folder that starts with prefix 281. (first 3 characters)
If I click on 27105, it would take me to the folder with prefix 271.

Thank you!!!!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I don't think you can use wildcards or partial folder paths for this. AFAIK, the dialog will open to the last folder that it can make sense of, assuming the code doesn't raise an error.
My approach would have the parent folder "281" with the variables as sub folders, or in code, string together the initial path & 281-variable and open that folder.
Or did I misunderstand your folder naming convention?

Upvote 0
I don't think you can use wildcards or partial folder paths for this. AFAIK, the dialog will open to the last folder that it can make sense of, assuming the code doesn't raise an error.
My approach would have the parent folder "281" with the variables as sub folders.
Honestly that's what I think I have to do too. I know you can use the formula LEFT3 in a cell, but didn't know if you could incorporate in into folders.

We'll probably have to restructure the folder systems to accommodate then . Thank you!

Upvote 0
I tried it and all it did was pick the last folder it could make sense out of.
Can't you get Left(column A,3) and concatenate that & "M:\Project Folder\" & "[job name on the sheet]"?

Upvote 0
I tried it and all it did was pick the last folder it could make sense out of.
Can't you get Left(column A,3) and concatenate that & "M:\Project Folder\" & "[job name on the sheet]"?
Thank you for trying.

I actually have that suggestion in place on another spreadsheet and that's one solution. I had trouble getting people to name the folders correctly, so I was curious if this could work.

The issue we have is our jobs are addresses, and staff will say 1234 N. Fake Street, and then name the folder 1234 North Fake St. --- I will have to have them focus a little more on standardization if I want the hyperlinks to work.

Upvote 0
Don't allow them to create the folder from Windows Explorer, use vba instead? I guess that would only be a policy, but shouldn't be hard to implement. Then again, what's to stop the invalid data from being in the sheet rather than the folder? If that can happen, any code solution related to the first post will fail to produce the desired result in those cases.

Just a guess, but I suspect whatever you're doing would be better of being handled by a database (as long as it was properly built).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back