Hyperlinking between worksheets based on a cell's value?

goo89

Hi, please see attached screenshots in imgur for my problem. I am trying to hyperlink the numbers next to the names (on Sheet1) to the corresponding person's name on Sheet2. In my real example it is a database of 1000s of names.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Is there a formula capable of doing this? Many thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
vlookup will do this.

it would look something like =vlookup(A:A,Sheet1!A:A,B:B,False)

Sorry, I typed that wrong. It should be =vlookup(A:A,Sheet1!A:B,2,False)

The function syntax is vlookup(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,[range_lookup]
lookup_value = is the value you want too look up.
table_array = the table or range that you want too look up the information on (note that the 1st column in that table/array HAS to be the column that you are looking in for your lookup_value.)
col_index_num = which column from the array that excel will return when it finds the value in the first column of the array.
[range_lookup] = if true, it will find an approximate match from your array. if false, it will find an exact match from your array.

So in the equation "=vlookup(A:A,Sheet1!A:B,2,False)" You are telling excel to look for whatever is in column A of the same row that the active cell is in. You are telling it to look on sheet1 in column A. You are telling it to return the second column from A:B and that you want an exact match.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I typed that wrong. It should be =vlookup(A:A,Sheet1!A:B,2,False)

The function syntax is vlookup(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,[range_lookup]
lookup_value = is the value you want too look up.
table_array = the table or range that you want too look up the information on (note that the 1st column in that table/array HAS to be the column that you are looking in for your lookup_value.)
col_index_num = which column from the array that excel will return when it finds the value in the first column of the array.
[range_lookup] = if true, it will find an approximate match from your array. if false, it will find an exact match from your array.

So in the equation "=vlookup(A:A,Sheet1!A:B,2,False)" You are telling excel to look for whatever is in column A of the same row that the active cell is in. You are telling it to look on sheet1 in column A. You are telling it to return the second column from A:B and that you want an exact match.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I am looking to hyperlink, i.e. so when I click on the number 5 in Sheet1, it will take me to James' name on Sheet2. I am not looking to draw any data through to the other worksheet

Apologies if I didn't make this clear in the OP

Upvote 0
Sorry, I misunderstood. I have been playing with the hyperlink function, and I'm following the syntax on the help guide, but I can't get it to jump to anything. I must be doing something wrong there.

Good luck getting your answer. I'd just be using ctrl+F if I was you, but I can see why you'd want the hyperlinks.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back