hyperlinks and vlookup

jc52766

Hi

I find hyperlinks can be a pain. You create 1 and if you change locations of things in a workbook you have to redo them. And other times they just break and you need to redo them.

So for my current spreadsheet i would save a heaps of time hopefully merging vlookup, hyperlink and cell (and maybe INDIRECT??) functions i assume to make a hyperlink find the reference cell itself hopefully.

So far i've tried things like:

=CELL("address",VLOOKUP(J3,'Validation with paperwork'!$J$3:$BN$91,1)) - But excel doesn't like this formula. Apparently the cell formula doesn't like vlookups within it.

I've tried some others with no success.

Is what i'm trying to achieve even possible without VB????

Basically i'm trying to vlookup a value in another tab. And find the reference cell to the HYPERLINK to for that value.

Thanks

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi

=CELL("address",VLOOKUP(J3,'Validation with paperwork'!$J$3:$BN$91,1)) - But excel doesn't like this formula. Apparently the cell formula doesn't like vlookups within it.

CELL() expects a reference (range) as second arg here. If what you have VLOOKUP() a text address then enclosing with INDIRECT() may do the trick.

I've tried some others with no success.

Have you tried HYPERLINK()

Upvote 0
FYI problem solved

I used the cell("address") in the far right of the tab i was going to HYPERLINK to.
I then use the hyperlink formula and reference this cell.

Problem solved. I don't have it with me at the moment but am happy to go into more detail if anyone needs any help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back