Hyperlinks not following changed cell addresses

HFH

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm running Office 2016, I have a master sheet on my server that gathers it's information form various slave sheets via hyperlinks. When a line is being inserted on any slave sheet with the master sheet closed the hyperlink on the master sheet does not follow the change in address on the slave sheet, resulting in the wrong information. If the master sheet is open on any of the PC's logged in on the server and a slave sheet is being changed then it's fine and the change in address on the slave sheet is being follow by the master sheet, but if the master is closed it does not auto update to the new cell address on the slave sheet, it remains stuck on the original cell address on the slave sheet. Help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Use defined names as the targets ... it should resolve correctly each time.

Upvote 0
Use defined names as the targets ... it should resolve correctly each time.
Hi Glenn, thank you for your reply, please excuse my ignorance, can you please elaborate a bit more, no too sure what you mean by defined names as the targets

Upvote 0
A target is something in hyperlinks ... maybe you didn't mean that. Did you mean external links?

Upvote 0
A target is something in hyperlinks ... maybe you didn't mean that. Did you mean external links?
Hi Glenn, the hyperlinks works perfect if the target is for instance Master Sheet cell A1. The way I insert the hyperlink is as follows; whilst being on the designated cell in the slave sheet, I hit the equal sign on the keyboard and then click on the desired cell on the master sheet. You mention using "defined names as targets", this is where I'm unclear as my targets is merely the cell address on the slave sheet. For instance; master sheet cell A1 = Slave sheet cell D12, but if I insert a line on the slave sheet and the target moves to cell D13, with the master sheet closed, the master sheet cell A1 still links to the slave sheet D12, it is as if it is unaware of the fact that the target moved from D12 to D13, unless if the master sheet is open, then it registers the moving target. If I understand correct you say don't define the target as slave sheet D12, by define the target with a "name". This is where I'm lost. Appreciate your help!!!

Upvote 0
That's not a hyperlink, that's an external link. If you name the cell D12 on the slave sheet as MyData, and refer to that in the master (instead of cell reference), then if a row is inserted in the slave (with the master closed), then the data flow is preserved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back