Hyperlinks not working

DonnyB9

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet with several business names. Each name has a hyperlink that I set up. Half the links work as expected, the other half fail when clicked. When they fail I get an error message that says the request is not valid. I can then copy and paste the failed link to my browser and it works just fine. Any ideas what is happening and how to fix this?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Open Excel Workbook ->Go to File->Options->Advanced. Scroll down to find the General tab and click on Web Options. Web Options Window pops-up. On Web Options, pop-up, Click on Files and select the 'Update Links on save' checkbox.

This may help,
J Wick

Upvote 0
I tried all the suggestions listed plus a few others I found, but none of them worked. It seems odd that some of the links work as expected, and others do not work. I created a few desktop shortcuts using the links that did not work in Excel and they worked just fine too.

Upvote 0
I tried all the suggestions listed plus a few others I found, but none of them worked. It seems odd that some of the links work as expected, and others do not work. I created a few desktop shortcuts using the links that did not work in Excel and they worked just fine too.
The only reason that is possible is that the URL is more than 255 characters. Here is several workaround on that if this is the case

Upvote 0
I counted the number of characters in the longest link. It was 39 characters, so the problem is not that the hyperlinks exceed 255.
I have given up on Excel's ability to make this work. I will just use copy and paste when needed instead of using the hyperlink.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back