Hyperlinks to Folder/Files

chef

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
I wonder if this is possible and would appreciate any guidance

I have case reference numbers ( approx 1500 ) in column B and this reference number has a unique folder with the same reference number that contains various documents in path Q/Employment Tracker/CMS

Would it be possible to click on any cell reference/case number in any row in Column B and then that would open up folder or at least highlight the corresponding folder against the reference?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Try this:
VBA Code:
Sub Create_Hyperlinks()
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In Range("B2", Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp))
        cell.Parent.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=cell, Address:="Q:\Employment Tracker\CMS\" & cell.Value
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you so so much for taking the time with this. Just awesome.

I would never in a million years fathomed this out and I'm really grateful for your help as it will help so many users at work.

kind regards

Upvote 0
Please forgive me for perhaps not applying this correct.

I started a new spreadsheet to try this and I have the case references starting at Row7 in column B
I put your code in the worksheet by opening up view code on the CMS tab in workbook and pasting directly there.

So I have managed to get the hyperlinks to work perfect and opens up the unique reference folder in the path but for just Rows B7/B8
Whenever I put a new reference into further rows in column B9 onwards, nothing links and I try clicking and click and hold as previous
I can copy the first two rows format etc down but then I have to manually edit the hyperlink path with each individual cell reference.

Is this something I am doing wrong as I am not understanding why it would work for first 2 records in row B7/B8 and actually show the link when you hover over but nothing when new entries are input.
Sorry to be a pain as this is so helpful and its my lack of VBA knowledge that is not helping.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

regards

Upvote 0
The macro goes in a standard module, not a worksheet module, and is designed to be run manually. When run it creates a hyperlink to the case reference folder for each cell from B2 to the last cell in column B with data. The user can then click one of the hyperlinks and that folder will be opened in File Explorer. If you add or change a case reference number the macro would have to be run again to recreate the hyperlinks. One problem with using hyperlinks is that multiple File Explorer windows for the same folder are opened if the user clicks the same hyperlink again.

Here is a better, automatic method which doesn't use hyperlinks and ensures that only 1 File Explorer window is opened for a particular case reference when the user selects a cell from B7:B<last> containing a value.

Delete the previous code in the CMS worksheet module and insert this code:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim mainFolder As String, caseFolder As String

mainFolder = "Q:\Employment Tracker\CMS\"

If Right(mainFolder, 1) <> "\" Then mainFolder = mainFolder & "\"

If Target.Column = 2 And Target.Row >= 7 And Target.Count = 1 And Target.Value <> "" Then
        caseFolder = mainFolder & Target.Value
        If Dir(caseFolder, vbDirectory) <> vbNullString Then
            Open_File_Explorer caseFolder
        Else
            MsgBox "The folder for Case Reference " & Target.Value & " doesn't exist in " & mainFolder
        End If
    End If

End Sub
Put this code in a new standard module (e.g. Module1):
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function SetForegroundWindow Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hwnd As LongPtr) As LongPtr
#Else
    Private Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
#End If

Public Sub Open_File_Explorer(folder As String)

'Open File Explorer at the specified folder if not already open, otherwise bring it to the foreground

Static Sh As Object
    Dim ShWindow As Object
    Dim i As Variant
    Dim foundWindow As Boolean

If Right(folder, 1) = "\" Then folder = Left(folder, Len(folder) - 1) 'remove trailing "\"

If Sh Is Nothing Then Set Sh = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    foundWindow = False
    i = 0
    While i < Sh.Windows.Count And Not foundWindow
        Set ShWindow = Sh.Windows(i)
        If StrComp("file:///" & Replace(folder, "\", "/"), ShWindow.LocationUrl, vbTextCompare) = 0 Then foundWindow = True
        i = i + 1
    Wend

If Not foundWindow Then
        Shell "explorer.exe " & folder, vbNormalFocus
    Else
        SetForegroundWindow ShWindow.hwnd
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
wow and wow !!!!

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to do this and this is an amazing piece of work and to me genius.
I'm not going to pretend I understand it but the fact I have a solution is amazing and is going to help so so much and offers even more flexibility.

I'm just so grateful...
Have a great weekend

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back