Hyperlinks to some images on the web are slow to open

mdbrownarch

We are building a cloud-based solution with an Excel file export. This file contains hyperlinks to open photos from our server in a web browser. In Excel 2011 and 2013, I have run into an issue where our hyperlinks to images on the web can take minutes to open. Simple links to Google or specific images such as this dog open in seconds. When I enter the problematic links directly in the browser they open instantaneously. This test leads me to believe Excel is processing the link in some way (security?) prior to opening. Does anyone know what might be happening and a solution?

Here is a sample problematic link format in case the URL string parameters are related:
http://www.somewebsite.com/page/cdn...RNSlqWTMqtm53/1447789624478_cdv_photo_002.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Solution: Excel preloads images prior to redirecting you to the browser. The larger the image file, the longer you have to wait in Xcel for it to load. I do not understand why MS thinks this is necessary since Xcel is not a browser and no one expects it to be. Thanks for confusing us again MS.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back