I got a Juicy One! Getting Excel to Compare Data

PTori82

Board Regular
Hello,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>I'm trying to compare hourly weather forecasts to hourly weather observations. Every 3 hours a new forecast is produced and every hour a new observation is put into my excel spreadsheet. I'm currently pasting my forecast into a worksheet and then running a macro to extract the data from my forecast and convert it to match the format of the data being queried into a separate worksheet. Here is what I want to do:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>In a worksheet labeled "WORKABLE DATA" and in cell D2 is the value "9:58" In cell M5 is the date; in this example it is the value "10". In another worksheet labeled "OBS" (where my queried data is sent to) and in cell B5 is the value "13:58" Cell A5 is the date and in this example, the value "10".

I'm using a web query to pull in data from the National Weather Service so as the data comes in, cell B5 will change every hour, as will all the data in the other columns. Based on the value in D2 and M5 I want to get excel to search for the matching date and time in the "OBS" worksheet and then compare and find the difference between that all the selected columns. I haven't mentioned the columns I want compared because I don't even know if this task is possible in excel.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi,

If you can provide a sample of your data on Sheet WORKABLE DATA and Sheet OBS that would be helpful.
It's a bit tricky to provide a solution without having a visiual to go by and sample data to play with.

You can post sample data using the link in my signature.
Or the htmlMaker here....
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8cffdec0ce27e813&sc=documents&id=8CFFDEC0CE27E813!189

Or by using this method....
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/444901-how-create-table-like-aladin.html#post2198045

Ak

Upvote 0
Hi,

Maybe by this method....

Select the relevant area in Excel.
Put borders around the cells.
Copy the area and past it here.

Use IE for seeing the pasted exhibit.
Use IE also for copying the exhibit from the board and pasting it in Excel.

Edited by Peter_SSs since quite a few people are still having trouble with this.

You do need another setting that is not mentioned above. There are 2 ways.

1. Quick Links|Edit Options|Message Editor Interface (right down the bottom)|Enhanced Interface ..., or

2. Quick Links|Edit Options|Message Editor Interface|Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls (this is what I use), but before you want to use Borders/Copy/Paste, click the 'Switch Editor Mode' button at the top left of the Quick Reply window.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back