I HATE CHARTS! No matter what I try, I can't get my info to show properly.

Punchin83

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table that is created using a power query and the amount of rows changes daily depending on the agents on the clock. I'm trying to make a Line chart to keep track of their daily percentages, but I can't get it to work. I have to manually add each agent (close to 100) manually for it to show up correctly, but I shouldn't have to do that each an every day. This will get extremely tedious. Is there an easy way to make a simple line chart based on this example data? I've been fighting with it all of December and I need to get it done properly.

Agent Name1234
John Doe45%37%98%24%
Jane Smith72%13%45%99%
Anne Marie100%2%50%75%

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
As per usual, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is a screenshot of how I thought I understood your problem and how to solve it:
Screenshot 2023-01-03 192721.png

So you'll notice I added a new column, named "5" with some random numbers I came up just for illustration purposes. The chart I created is based on the query I loaded into this table, not the "original" table that went into Power Query for further transformations. The "original" table I copied from your post and pasted into my Excel instance is on a different sheet. I further added the "5" column in that "original" table and refreshed this table you see in the screenshot. The chart immediately showed those changes.
Two points on your problem that you presented, seemingly with the chart but I have an impression it is with understanding how queries loaded into tables work:
- when you need to add data to your dataset, and reflect that change on the resulting chart, you'll need to enter it in the table off of which you made those charts. You can't expect the edit you made on the original table to be reflected in the chart you based on the table you made through Power Query without refreshing the table you made through PQ.
- The new column you add to the original table (if that is how you edit your database daily, by adding new columns for each day) will show up in the table you made through Power Query only if you refresh the PQ- based table, but that new column will lose its datatype formatting. You'll have to set the correct datatype again (after the refresh) on the PQ-derived table.
By the way, the sample data you provided most definitely needs some redesigning: if "1", "2","3" etc are days of the month December, they need to go to a column of their own. Those percentages will also need to get into a single column...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back