I keep getting this error: "The item couldn’t be saved because the file name is invalid." (Mac)

bythecshore

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
All of a sudden I'm running into a real weird problem. When I save a spreadsheet to one folder, it works fine, but when I save it to another folder (where I really want to save it to, I get this error, "The item couldn’t be saved because the file name is invalid."
Does anyone know why this is happening? I've tried restarting my MacBook and that didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Same here - I can only save as the default "book 1" - anything else non valid - and can't duplicate either....

Any help would be great !

Upvote 0
I sort of figured this out by trial and error.

The folder I was trying to save into was in a directory that for some reason wouldn't allow it. When I moved the folder out of the directory tree it was in, I could once again save files to it with any typical file name.

Upvote 0
Since today, I'm getting the exact same issue. When I try saving a file in a specific folder, it's not able to save. When moving that file to a folder higher up the hierarchy, I can save it with that exact same name.

A few additional findings (assuming folder X and all its subfolders return issues):
1) If in folder X I could not save the file, and instead I save it in another folder (say folder Y), the file does not open after I copy paste it into the location where I originally intended the file to be in (folder X)
2) I noticed that, in folder X, I'm only able to save a file when the filelenght is equal to or smaller than 21 characters. I can rename it in my finder to something of more than 21 characters, but then the Excel file doesn't open. When I change it back to 21 characters or less, the file opens again...
3) The issue only seems to be occuring with Excel files. When I save a word file with a filename longer than 21 characters, there's no issue at all...

Very odd (and annoying !!!). Anyone experiencing the same? Any solutions/ideas?

Upvote 0
Solution
Ok, I think I found it, and it's probably something something that would need to be fixed in Excel. If the full path to the excel file, including the filename (excl the file extension), exceeds 256 chars, the Excel cannot be opened... That's also the reason why moving the file up one directory fixed the issue, sometimes...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back