I lost the dark automatic color gridlines when I start Excel

Haver

When I open a new workbook the gridlines are very light and hard to see on the white background. I thing I did something to cause this as I had black or dark colored gridlines for several months before this problem happened. When I go to the gridlines color options by Clicking (tools>options>view>) Gridlines is checked and when I right click on color options, automatic and read the (what’s this) message, it reads as follows. “If you click Automatic, the color is based on the color defined in Windows Control Panel.” My question is. Where exactly do I correct this in the control panel? The only places I have been working are with the display icon and I also reinstalled Excel. I have Excel 2002 on a Dell 4550 with Windows XP home edition. Thanks Bob

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Re: I lost the dark automatic color gridlines when I start E

Hi Haver

Just below the GridLines Tick-Box in your Options there is a Drop-down listbox Called Color. Change that option to Automatic and your lines will show up better.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0

Hello,

Go to CONTROL PANEL--> DISPLAY-->APPEARANCE

in the Item Drop DOwn Box, Select WINDOW and change back to Blacl or whatever colour you require.

Is this helpful?

Upvote 0

onlyadrafter said:
Hello,

Go to CONTROL PANEL--> DISPLAY-->APPEARANCE

in the Item Drop DOwn Box, Select WINDOW and change back to Blacl or whatever colour you require.

Is this helpful?

to onlyadrifter,
In following your instructions, Please tell me what exactly do I change after selecting "window". this is where I get lost. your help will be greatly appreciated. Bob

Upvote 0

anvil19 said:
Hi Haver

Just below the GridLines Tick-Box in your Options there is a Drop-down listbox Called Color. Change that option to Automatic and your lines will show up better.

anvil19

to anvil19,
I have the Automatic option selected and the gridlines are very faint against a white background. As I stated in my question the "whats this" says to change this color in the control panel. Where exactly in the control panel do I do this. thanks Haver

Upvote 0

Hello,

After selection CONTROL PANEL-->DISPLAY-->APPEARANCE and selecting WINDOW in the Item Drop Down Box, you need t change the COLOUR along side the Font Drop Down Box to the colour require and then press APPLY.

If you have Excel in the background, hopefully the gridlines will change.

Upvote 0

Hi Havers

I tried onlyadrafters' tip and chose black as the colour for windows and it promptly turned all the backgrounds for my Windows and all applications black (lines were white-like a photo negative if you will!).

I set the color in Excel Colour Options to black (not Automatic) and my lines did get darker. Try that first, and if it fails then go to the appearence tab of the display dialog.

anvil19

Upvote 0

Hello

anvil19

I think you changes the wrong colour, I said change the colour box alongside the FONT Drop Down Window, I think you changed the colour of the drop down box alongside the ITEM drop down window.

Upvote 0

Hi onlyadrafter

You're right I did :oops:

But when I changed the font to bright green the Excel Tabs turned green, but those pesky lines stayed black.

I really feel for Havers, I do!

anvil19

Upvote 0

anvil19 said:
Hi onlyadrafter

You're right I did :oops:

But when I changed the font to bright green the Excel Tabs turned green, but those pesky lines stayed black.

I really feel for Havers, I do!

anvil19
anvil19, thanks for your help. for the time being I will continue setting the color manually. Haver

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back