I need a formula for adding hours in an excel timecard!!! Help!!

siasarma

I am wondering if there is any other way to somehow link two functions together, to add hours in a timecard. I would like to be able to use decimals, but not have it convert into fractions. Example: I want to be able to go:
Time in - 8.00 time out - 1.00 time in - 1.30 time out - 5.00.
I want it to read that way without converting it to fractions cause that just gets too confusing when your trying to read everbody elses timecards.

Also, I dont want to use army time cause it takes to long to convert 5.00 into 17.00 hours.

AND I dont want to have to type in 8:00 AM 1:00 PM 1:30 PM 5:00 PM. using the h:mm AM/PM format.

The reason I dont want to type all this stuff in is because I already use an online calculator that lets me type it in in the decimals like I want, so I dont want to give myself extra work. I was hoping I could figure out a way to do it in excel because then I can link the hours to all my other payroll sheets. So, if anybody knows a different way than these options I seem to have, please let me know!!!

I wont mind if I have to type in colons for hours as long as I dont have to type in army time or type in the AM PM stuff...

Thanks for all of your help!!

Siah

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You almost HAVE to either type in AM/PM or enter times in Mil time. It may not stay in mil time, but you have to tell it whether it's AM or PM somehow. You can format the cell as "1:30 PM", (the third one down) and type in 15:00 and it will enter 3:00 PM for you, but somehow you have to tell it what part of day you want.

Upvote 0
Is there any way to format the cells to always be AM or PM. Most people punch in in the AM and Out for Lunch in the PM. So, if there was a way I could format all the cells to stay AM and PM that would help!

This is kind of a bummer. If you have a lot of people in your payroll those couple of seconds of typing can add a lot of time. Plus I have a manager who counts the clicks to see whats faster!!!:LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back