I need help developing a list to find groceries in the store

Bob Katin

During this Corona virus, my wife is in the high risk category and cannot take the risk, to go grocery shopping. I do not know where to find things, and the 1st time, it took me 2 hours to locating things at the grocery store. I wrote an Excel spreadsheet to enter the location by isle (Produce, Dairy, Deli, Meat, Seafood and Aisle 1-20) and by sub-isle (A, B, C, D). I have also added a column refrigerated or non-refrigerated, so I can buy the non-perishable items, first.

So I have generated columns in my Excel spreadsheet:
Refrigerated (A),
location (B),
sub-aisle locations (C),
item name (D),
qty (E),
got it (F) for me to check off as I put it in my cart,
and recently added "Required" (G) so I could develop a Master List, but only print the "Grocery List" and look for groceries if it is "required".

I have a few questions:
1. Most locations are designated by the aisle number (1-20), but others are non-numbered aisles, such as Produce, Dairy, Deli, Meat, Seafood. How do I sort Column B Location to indicate aisle 20 to 1, and then alphabetically (Produce, dairy, etc)?
2. I added Column G for Needed (Y/N) to sort my master list for only groceries that I need to buy, this week. Can Excel determine that if Column E Quantity is greater than zero, make Column G Required go to "Y" or "N"?
3. Currently I sort by Column G Required Z to A; Column A, Refrigerated A to Z; Column B Location A to Z; Column C Sub A to Z.

Is there a better way to make this Master Grocery List so I can find things before my legs fall off?

I really appreciate your help.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Perhaps you could commence by having headings for each isle/produce section and then list what is in each and leave next column free (for a tick )
That way when you go into say isle 6 you know exactly what products are there.
Your list could be the master and each week before shopping peruse list and in spare column put a tick for those items needed (Windings Font with formula =CHAR("252")
Haven't given much thought to the rest

Upvote 0
You could create a dropdown list fo the Aisles, so it could then include 1-20 AND the other items, produce, dairy, etc.
You could also filter by "Y" for col "G" rather than sort, that way you would only have the needed visible

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back