I need help in sharing the workbook with condition, please help.

pedie

hi, I have around 25 users who will be allowed just to edit few lines in the workheet. But the workbook will not open if other user have open and is already in use....untill other user closes the workbook other user will not be able to open the book.

Please advise as to what is the best way to keep workbook openable to all users anytime together maybe...but will not allow user to edit all the cells..only range("K1:N21").

Thanks for all your help!

Ped;)

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Sorry for bumping but can we lock the shared workbook???
That comes together with my question....

Thanks for bearin!:p

Upvote 0
This thread was forgotton by my part of the world....so when they are asleep maybe the other side of the world (The part of the world that are awake now) may please answer my question:biggrin:

make the normal workbook share and unshare by VBA Code.

>Book is saved as normal1 > open, run the code to make it shared > un my code> then saved again as normal.

Thanks for HELPING!;)

Pedie

Upvote 0
Is this inquiry not supported by this forum?:confused:

Sorry for bumping again....!:biggrin:

Upvote 0
If this wookbook is going to be used by 25 users, and you want it to be able to Open by more then one user at a time.

Then your best bet is a Shared Workbook.

Keep in mind that YOU will be the Exclusive user of the book since YOU put it in Shared status. That means that if more then one user changes a cell, you will be the one to decided which change takes effect.

As far as limiting the Range of cells the user can change. Click on the little square to the Left of col A and above row 1 to highlight the whole sheet. Right click > Format Cell > Protection > and Uncheck Locked.

Now highlight the Range K1:N21 > Right click and do the same as above but Check Locked.

Now Protect your sheet with a password and Uncheck locked cells. Do all of this Before you Share the book. They will not be able to enter those cells.

Please Read the Help files on Shared Workbooks. There is alot more info you have to familarize yourself with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nalani ..thanks alot for the input. I just have very little idea as of now.

What you suggested is great. So suppose i put the file in sharemode...will your idea allow one user to edit only indicated range?

Because the main motive is everybody should be able to open the sheet sometime even in the same time...but edit only in the range specified....or if once a cell is updated (normally i am just trying to allow user to enter yes/no answer and staff like that), i want no changes to happed again after that....

Please kindly advise again...
in the mean time i'm also reading...

Thanks again Pedie;)

Upvote 0
What I suggested will allow ALL 25 users, if all have the book open, to edit say K1 with what ever they decide "Yes" or "No". It will be up to you to decide WHO's entry to accept after you review the Histrory sheet that will be generated after you "Track Changes"

You are on the right track as far as a "Shared Workbook", but you have a lot of reading and "playing" with it to know How It Works.

Upvote 0
Thanks alot!

That helps alot!

I know if i have any problem then i would come here again...

:mad:
Thanks; Pedie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back