I need help with Data Verification and drop down lists

lambierules

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have an excel sheet I use for a golf leage that I run, I made some changes to the list of team this year copying and pasting into a few of the teams lists which seems to have broken some links. I don't jhave any contact with the person who helped me creat this initally, and due to an incident with my harddrive I have lost all my back up data or else I would start fresh.

The sheets work by selecting the team name from the top of the box thus generating the names for that specific team. 3 of the team lists do not pull up any names when selcted, which I believe is from copying and pasting in the reference page.

Hopefully this is clear and makes sence.

Regards,
Andrew

Attachments

• Golf league reference sheet.PNG
    Golf league reference sheet.PNG
    63.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Golf league score page.PNG
    Golf league score page.PNG
    66.7 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Try this
Book1.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJK
2Team APlayer 1Team A
3Team BPlayer 2
4Team CPlayer 3
5Team DPlayer 4
6Team EPlayer 5
12Team ATeam BTeam CTeam DTeam E
13Player 1Player 6Player 11Player 16Player 21
14Player 2Player 7Player 12Player 17Player 22
15Player 3Player 8Player 13Player 18Player 23
16Player 4Player 9Player 14Player 19Player 24
17Player 5Player 10Player 15Player 20Player 25
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H2:H6H2=OFFSET($A$12,1,MATCH($J$2,B12:F12,0),5)
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
H2List=OFFSET($A$12,1,MATCH($J$2,B12:F12,0),5)

Upvote 0
What you looks like a dependent drop down list. It has quite a few moving parts and the easiest would be if you can share your file using a sharing platform such as dropbox, google drive, onedrive etc.

If you want to try yourself first. Click in the one of the player boxes that is not working in City Slickers and click on Data > Data Validation.
(you mention 3 not working but have marked 4 in blue)
Compare what you have in the validation box to what is in the validation box of one of the teams that is working.
I would expect both formula to be referencing the teams line for that team.

Your team player lists look to be in tables. Click inside the table for City Slickers and click on Table Design and see what the table name is in the table name box.

The validation box most likely uses Indirect.
Since your team names have spaces in it the formula will need to do a conversion to use either the Table name or a Named Range.
So if it doesn't look like the Table Name go looking for Named range.

Unfortunately there are several ways of achieving this. The link here will give an idea of the principle.
The video is just under 8 mins.

Upvote 1
What you looks like a dependent drop down list. It has quite a few moving parts and the easiest would be if you can share your file using a sharing platform such as dropbox, google drive, onedrive etc.

If you want to try yourself first. Click in the one of the player boxes that is not working in City Slickers and click on Data > Data Validation.
(you mention 3 not working but have marked 4 in blue)
Compare what you have in the validation box to what is in the validation box of one of the teams that is working.
I would expect both formula to be referencing the teams line for that team.

Your team player lists look to be in tables. Click inside the table for City Slickers and click on Table Design and see what the table name is in the table name box.

The validation box most likely uses Indirect.
Since your team names have spaces in it the formula will need to do a conversion to use either the Table name or a Named Range.
So if it doesn't look like the Table Name go looking for Named range.

Unfortunately there are several ways of achieving this. The link here will give an idea of the principle.
The video is just under 8 mins.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm not against sharing the link, this is a little far beyon my knowlege of excel.

charlies angels
oliver hookers
divot diggers
city slickers.

There is an old team on the reference page the bogie men from when we had more teams, that one wasn't dead so I free typed the names under their banner and it worked, I'm just tired of going up and down to select the names.

Thanks you so much for your assistance@!

Upvote 0
All the ones with a space in the name are failing. That is because named ranges (including table names) can't have a space in the name.
You will need to go into line 1 of each section and change the existing data validation formula to something that looks like the below.
You can then copy that cell to the other cells for the same team.

ie Oliver Hookers
Heading in G4.
Data validation (Data > Data Validation > Source) needs to be
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE($G$4," ",""))

Upvote 0
Solution
All the ones with a space in the name are failing. That is because named ranges (including table names) can't have a space in the name.
You will need to go into line 1 of each section and change the existing data validation formula to something that looks like the below.
You can then copy that cell to the other cells for the same team.

ie Oliver Hookers
Heading in G4.
Data validation (Data > Data Validation > Source) needs to be
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE($G$4," ",""))
Thank you! using the code above and moving in around in the difference cells I have gotten it back to working order.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back