I need to +1 my formulas e.g. change ='Jan 2013'!BD3 into ='Jan 2013'!BD4

norani

So I have a big excel file. Sheets 1-5 are titled Jan-March to reflect the months of the year that I take skinfold measurements of the athletes. They are full of raw data like athletes' names, weights, skinfold measurements, girths etc.

The I have sheets X1-X32. Each of these sheets generates an individual profile for the athletes with their name, dob, average skinfolds, girths, sum of 7 skinfold, and some pretty graphs to show their weight going up and their skinfolds coming down.

So my sheet X1 has all of the formulas in it e.g.
='Jan 2013'!AS2
='Feb 2013'!AS2
='Mar 2013'!AS2

But on sheet X2 I need the source of all of the formulae to go down a row so they would be:
='Jan 2013'!AS3
='Feb 2013'!AS3
='Mar 2013'!AS3
Other than doing this manually which would take forever with 32 sheets is there a macro or something I can do to change all of the formulae on the sheet?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

It's hard to be sure without knowing the layout of the sheets, but I suspect there's a better formula, such as using INDEX and MATCH to locate the athlete name on each month's sheet. Otherwise you could always use Find/Replace to replace the AS3 with AS4 on the first sheet and repeat for the others, which shouldn't take too long.

Upvote 0
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

It's hard to be sure without knowing the layout of the sheets, but I suspect there's a better formula, such as using INDEX and MATCH to locate the athlete name on each month's sheet. Otherwise you could always use Find/Replace to replace the AS3 with AS4 on the first sheet and repeat for the others, which shouldn't take too long.

Hi Rory, Thanks a millon for your reply. When I click find: 3 replace: 4 it doesn't find anything because the formulae are represented as #DIV/0! on the sheet not as their formula.
I want to change the formulae not the values. Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
Replace will change formulas (it couldn't replace their results). You need to make sure that you either have only one cell selected, or all the cells in which you want to do the replacing. Also check the options to make sure it's not trying to match entire cell contents.

Upvote 0
If you don;t mind making your sheets look different and just hiding the top blank rows, you can use the INDIRECT and ROW function to return the Row # and make that cell an absolute value.

maybe something like =INDIRECT('Jan 2013'!AS"&ROW($B$2)) for ='Jan 2013'!AS2
=INDIRECT('Jan 2013'!AS"&ROW($B$3)) for ='Jan 2013'!AS3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back