I need to examine the relationship between two parameters and allocate points to them.

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, a repost with slightly better phrasing after thinking about it over the weekend.

I have a list of products and there are two parameters - features and passenger/features (sales) meaning if we have featured a product 100 times and it has received 32 sales, it has a pax/feature of 0.32

Now that the basics are out of the way, I want to categorize each tour into one of ten hypothetical buckets and apply points to them.

Let's assume that if a product is featured 1-19 times it has low advertisement. 20-49 is medium and 50+ is high advertisement.
Let's also assume that 0.2 pax/feat is average performance, therefore 0.15 and lower is low performance and 0.25 and above is high performance.

Finally, I have a system set up that allocates advertisements based on point-scoring and this is one part of the overall formula that determines suitability. For this purpose, I'd like to limit all points to within a -50 to +50 lower and upper boundary. To be clear, the greater points a product has, the greater chance of being selected for advertisement.

CategoryFeaturesPax/Feature RatioDescriptionResultPoints (representative examples)
0 Ads00This product has the potential to sell wellCautiously allocate a few points10
Low Advertisement, low performance50.07Situation could improve with future advertisements, but not looking good.Don't really add points0
Low Advertisement, medium performance70.15Situation could improve with future advertisements, but not so far so good.Give some points to encourage selection20
Low Advertisement, high performance41.50Be cautious as this could be a fluke due to low sample size, however allocate more pointsGive a decent amount of points25
Medium Advertisement, low performance260.05Product unlikely to improve in the futureSubtract a small amount of points to discourage selection-20
Medium Advertisement, medium performance440.24A good choice when better options have been exhaustedGo towards higher end of points allocation35
Medium Advertisement, high performance230.61High priority for selection. Clearly a winnerAllocate maximum points50
High Advertisement, low performance3200.04No more chances. This product does not do wellAllocate minimum points-50
High Advertisement, medium performance1000.22A good choice when better options have been exhausted. Unlikely to improve.Allocate average-good points30
High Advertisement, high performance4300.35A great choice.Allocate maximum points50

I hope that makes the idea of what I want to do really clear - I'm trying to encourage products that have good potential or an existing track record of success to get the most exposure, while limiting bad products, and being cautious about products that can go one way or the other (or haven't been tested yet)

The key here, and this is the bit I'm struggling with, is how to mathematically examine the relationship between Features & Pax/Feature ratio.

When I look at that in my head, I think "44 features and 0.24 pax/feature, that means it's had enough features to be tested and it's got an average ratio so it's not a bad product - give it some points but don't go over the top."

This is the tricky part, converting that logic to something I can input as a formula and calculate across a series of over 1,000 products.

So far, I've got the following two formulas:

Excel Formula:
=(TAN(B2)*(C2)*-25)]

Excel Formula:
=50*(((B2*C2)-1/((B2*C2)+1)))
The second one I'm told is a Sigmoidal curve, but actually the first formula gives a better result. Although it's still not quite right. For example, using the first formula logic:

ProductFeaturesPax/FeaturePoints
Apple110.181027
Banana1400.5062

While they would both cap out at 50, I would classify Apple as "Low Advertisement, medium performance" whereas Banana is absolutely "High Advertisement, high performance" and consequently, Apple should sit at around 20 points. Therefore the formula isn't correctly examining the link between Features and Pax/Feature

I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but any help would be appreciated. Ideally, I'd end up with a formula (however long) that I can add into a cell. Thank you!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Bump, although I really do feel like I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Some helpful information is that the average for features is 92, the average for pax/feature is 0.2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back