I need to move a formula 10 columns to the right

kyddrivers

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am pulling multiple columns into a new sheet. The first reference is in cell F16 (Sun!F16), and the next one is 10 columns to the right or P16 (Sun!P16). On the new sheet, I would like to write a formula in I2 that offsets the formula in B2 by 10 instead of having to manually do it and introduce human error across 42 rows of data. I hope that makes sense.

I have tried to do offset(indirect and I just keep getting errors. The

Thanks in advance!

Book1
BCDEFGHI
13/263/273/283/293/303/314/14/2
Monthly req
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2='Sun'!F16
C2C2='Mon'!F16
D2D2='Tue'!F16
E2E2='Wed'!F16
F2F2='Thu'!F16
G2G2='Fri'!F16
H2H2='Sat'!F16
I2I2='Sun'!P16

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
try this:
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sun!$F16,0,10*INT(COLUMN()/8))

Upvote 0
A couple of questions:
1) Can you explain how this formula works? I understand the basic premise of the offset, but not sure why we are using the INT, Column, and the division by 8.
2) Can I drag this formula across 42 columns and 96 rows?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Actually as I started to described this I realised I had pasted your data into column A not column B, the correct equation is:

Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sun!$F16,0,10*INT((COLUMN()-1)/8)))
Note the minus 1
So starting with this updated equation :The reason for 10*Int(Column()-1/8 is there are 8 column between B and I so the )column()-1)/8 will give you , 0.125, 0.25 , 0.375, 0.5 ... 0.875 , 1 as it goes from column B to Column I. If you take the integer value of this you get 0 for columns B to H and 1 in column I.
You want to reference column F ( which is column 6) for column B to H and then Column P ( which is column 16) for I onwards. These are 10 column apart, so multiplying the Int((column()-1)/8) by 10 will give us the correct offset.
This equation will work for column B and Column I, but does not work for column C to G because these all reference different worksheets. If you copy this from column B to column C to H and then change the references to the correct worksheets then you can copy that group for 7 columns across as many time as you want and it will update to successive column.
Another alternative is to use VBA to write the correct equations without using offset which will mean you workhseet will calculate much faster[/CODE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Sorry that last post got a bit screwed up when I pasted the equation. the correct equation is:
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sun!$F16,0,10*INT((COLUMN()-1)/8))

An alternative which will write the equations directly using vba; is to run this code. give it a try on a copy of your workbook:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
 nam = Array("&Sun!", "&Mon!", "&Tue!", "&Wed!", "&Thu!", "&Fri!", "&Sat!")
ID = 0
Colno = 6
For i = 2 To 42
collet = Split(Cells(1, Colno).Address, "$")(1)
Range(Cells(8, i), Cells(8, i)) = nam(ID) & collet & "16"
ID = ID + 1
 If ID > 6 Then
 ID = 0
 Colno = Colno + 10
 End If
 Next i

End Sub
change the ampersands to equals signs to get it to make the correct references, I used ampersands just for testing it.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back