I need to remove duplicates

Chaos43

I have a customer database that is sorted by phone number. How do I remove duplicate rows quickly and easily?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi
It depends on how many lines/names on you database, and how many duplicates are expected.
If not very big the use conditional formatting on the phone number so the duplicates are highlighrted, the delete the rows. For a big database you need VBA solution. Someone else here can help you with VBA if needed.

Upvote 0
you can change the row by changing the letter in the brackets

Sub remove_duplicates_in_row()
Dim i As Long
Dim row As Long
row = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row
For i = row - 1 To 1 Step -1
If Cells(i, "A").Value = Cells(i + 1, "A") Then
Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
um... pretend i don't know anything about excel. can you break that down for me? perhaps a sample formula?? sorry.

Upvote 0
My database reads like this. Col A = Phone Number Col B = Cust Name Col C = Cust Address Col D =City Col E = State Col F = Zip And the whole deal is sorted by phone number. So it's really easy to tell which ones are the duplicates but there's just SO many, I simply don't have time to go through and delete all the duplicates individually. There's over 7500 customers in this database.

Upvote 0
What you posted previously reads like chinese to me. I just don't understand it @ all. Sorry :(

Upvote 0
so are you saying that if phone numbers match somwhere throughout that data? Then delete the duplicate rows

Upvote 0
Hi,

I beleive you may be able to simply select the phone numbers column (COL A) then click the Data>Filters>Advanced Filters menu, now select the unique values only tick box, this will strip out all the duplicates in column A.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back