I want to get into data analytics. Where to start.

Cbell07958

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I appreciate this is a bit vague.

I enjoy working on excel and learning new tricks. I would consider myself a middle user in terms of knowledge.

Macros are my nemesis and I have a macro for dummies book I am starting to work through.
Are there any other beginner books that you can recommend as someone understanding the data science/analytics side. I was thinking power BI etc.

There is so much more to learn. It’s knowing where to start and also understanding what these things do.

any advice or recommendations appreciated

thanks
Colin

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
have you tried some of the youtube videos
When i was learning , the number of books were enormous - I did not get on with the Dummy Books, but tended to purchase the Que Books as high quality reference and then a book which was more of a teaching book,
They seem to have changed a bit since the late 80's early 90's when i was teaching myself and going on courses for Access and Excel
I was working in a business team, and responsible for a lot of the management information for the business and liaising with the IT function, amounst other things like change management ISO9001 Quality implementation. Later working as a consultant for Change process change and a lot of performance improvement , which involved metrics and dashboards.
BUT started with the books as there was no internet back then.

Now there is so much on the internet, free courses and paid for courses , I would start with some searches and see what you find and get on with

Upvote 0
Hi all

I appreciate this is a bit vague.

I enjoy working on excel and learning new tricks. I would consider myself a middle user in terms of knowledge.

Macros are my nemesis and I have a macro for dummies book I am starting to work through.
Are there any other beginner books that you can recommend as someone understanding the data science/analytics side. I was thinking power BI etc.

There is so much more to learn. It’s knowing where to start and also understanding what these things do.

any advice or recommendations appreciated

thanks
Colin
ExcelIsFun, in one interview, said he does not like VBA and does not know it (or something like that) and he does many things using formulas and functions etc. A lot of data analysis can be done with functions like sumif, countif and vlookup and he has many videos covering these formulas. I founded his methods are amazing but very advanced as well.

Upvote 0
If you are looking to do Mashups of Excel files, then Power Query is the answer. "M is for (Data) Monkey" found on the MrE store. Written by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back