Identical strings wont match in Power Query

Daugaard92

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
So I've a really annyoing issue, which has been bothing me for a couple of days.

I've various data-sets, which I compare in a "joint" pivot-table utilizing multiple data-connection. I have then created various "filtering-tables" consisting only of variables like "supplier-names" and then I use these as filters within my pivot table.

I've had great succes with this - However, one of my sources wont work. For some reason, although the strings look perfectly alike in Excel (See below), for some reason they don't match (FALSK/FALSE).

1616486318037.png

This means, that where I for my alternate data from Data source 1 and other data sources, is able to filter out a supplier name like: "EL-NET ØST (BORNHOLM)", I'm unable to do the same for Data source 2 for some reason. If i delete and retype the entire text for data source 2:, then the two strings match; However, I obviously can't do this for a large data-set.

I've tried editing source 2 within Power Query by changing the format, but I just can't find a solution that works. I've tried to clean the data i Power Query - But nothing has any effect. Does anyone know of a solution?

Link to file: Strings aren't identicla.xlsx

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Does this appear by all strings in the same source?
You can use TRIM and UPPER functions to change the format.
Sometimes an extra character is placed behind the text. With function LEN you can compare the lenght of the strings.
Maybe some characters are not reconized like Ø.

Upvote 0
Does this appear by all strings in the same source?
You can use TRIM and UPPER functions to change the format.
Sometimes an extra character is placed behind the text. With function LEN you can compare the lenght of the strings.
Maybe some characters are not reconized like Ø.

That's the weird part aswell. I've used "LEN" and both strings match in length. I've removed empty blanks (Spaces) and there weren't any. Plus Excel is able to match some and unable to match others.

Upvote 0
Are the spaces maybe non break spaces (160)
And when you compare character for character: MID(string,1,1)-MID(string,2,1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirOliver

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back