Identify blank cell excluding Formula entered

gtd526

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I have a formula using a reverse vLookup that will might bring "" to the cell. I use ISBLANK or LEN=0 to identify blank cells, but its not working.
Here is the data:
NBA.xlsm
E
2reverse
3SPRD
4-5
7-6
21FALSE
22FALSE
Playoff Favs
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4:E19E4=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($F4,CHOOSE({1,2,3},Favs!$G$5:$G$28,Favs!$D$5:$D$28,,Favs!$H$5:$H$28),2,0),"")
E21E21=IF(LEN($E$5)=0,TRUE,FALSE)
E22E22=IF(ISBLANK($E$5),TRUE,FALSE)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
The second formula should work if the formula in E5 is returning a blank using ""

What does =LEN(E5) tell you?

Best guess without seeing the Favs sheet is that the lookup is not resulting in an error and that the result returned is " " instead of ""

Upvote 0
What does =LEN(E5) tell you?

The LEN(E5)=1
I made adjustments using LEN of 1 in the formula. Its all good now.
Thx for the reply.

Upvote 0
LEN(E5)= 1 tells me that the result of the formula is not ""
As I said above, it is likely that the formula is not resulting in an error and that the other sheet has a space in the result cell.

Changing the formula to =IF(LEN(E5)=1 is only a workaround, it might be good for now but if the result is an error, or if the other sheet contains a mixture of spaces and proper blanks then it will stop working again.

It would be better to check the source of the vlookup results and remove the extra spaces. Often it comes to a point when there is no workaround and you have to go back and fix the source, which then means that your other workarounds all stop working. Better to spend 10 minutes doing it properly now than 2 hours later :)

Another observation on your formula, the result of CHOOSE 3 is empty, the last range is in CHOOSE 4 so is never seen, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do with that formula but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use a simple INDEX MATCH combination with just the first 2 ranges.

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($F4,CHOOSE({1,2,3},Favs!$G$5:$G$28,Favs!$D$5:$D$28,,Favs!$H$5:$H$28),2,0),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back