Identify Cell Color using a Function

Locky

I have a 10,000 line spreadsheet containing 194 red (bold)coloured cells in column 1. Is there any function that will return a different value so that I can sort the coloured cells differently and thus delete the other 9000 odd cells.
(I am a newbie that was the Guru on Lotus123 in 1985 and now find myself in a time warp)

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
On 2002-08-29 02:21, Locky wrote:
I have a 10,000 line spreadsheet containing 194 red (bold)coloured cells in column 1. Is there any function that will return a different value so that I can sort the coloured cells differently and thus delete the other 9000 odd cells.
(I am a newbie that was the Guru on Lotus123 in 1985 and now find myself in a time warp)

Two options:

a) Use the condition under which some cells have been red colored as criteria in Advanced Filter in order to extract the intended records/cells.

b) Use the following in additional column:

=ExtCell("backgroundcolor",a2)=3

and sort the data on the additional column in descending order to get the read colored cells on top.

Do a Search on this site with Advanced Filter as keyword or ExtCell as keyword. ExtCell is user-defined function, the code of which is posted on this site in one of the threads you can find with Search.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back