Identify row containing max date for multiple rederences

Corp_exceller

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a sheet of data containing multiple rows of non distinct application numbers, and columns containing a date and time, which will be different per entry. This is a non distinct set of application numbers which I want to make distinct based on latest date.

*Note there are many other columns in the data set which don’t apply to the problem I’m trying to fix.

I want to identify the row which contains the latest date (for each application number) by putting either true false or any other two binary markings, so that I can filter on the ‘true’s, giving me a leaned out data set.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi,

I have a sheet of data containing multiple rows of non distinct application numbers, and columns containing a date and time, which will be different per entry. This is a non distinct set of application numbers which I want to make distinct based on latest date.

*Note there are many other columns in the data set which don’t apply to the problem I’m trying to fix.

I want to identify the row which contains the latest date (for each application number) by putting either true false or any other two binary markings, so that I can filter on the ‘true’s, giving me a leaned out data set.

Post your topic backed by a table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

1660141481077.png

Upvote 0
Book1
ABC
1ValuesDatesStatus
2dw112-Jun 
3dw328-Jun 
4dw23-Jul 
5dw111-JulTrue
6dw314-Sep 
7dw222-SepTrue
8dw330-SepTrue
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C8C2=IF(B2=MAX(IF(A2=A2:$A$8,B2:$B$8,"")),"True","")

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, this looks close. I've tried it but seems to be bringing back nothing. Is there anything I need to do to the data before applying the formula? Also, there are over 3000 rows, around 2200 of which are unique. Does this have any effect on the functioning of the formula?

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, this looks close. I've tried it but seems to be bringing back nothing. Is there anything I need to do to the data before applying the formula? Also, there are over 3000 rows, around 2200 of which are unique. Does this have any effect on the functioning of the formula?
Be very clear in your message(s), with concrete examples, for them to be properly understood. What do you mean by looking close, but bringing back nothing? Have you adjusted accurately the (absolute) references from formula, to your table ones? Use instead of images the XL2BB add-in ( XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode ), to copy an editable part of your table with formulas / issues too, and post it in your answer(s).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Be very clear in your message(s), with concrete examples, for them to be properly understood. What do you mean by looking close, but bringing back nothing? Have you adjusted accurately the (absolute) references from formula, to your table ones? Use instead of images the XL2BB add-in ( XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode ), to copy an editable part of your table with formulas / issues too, and post it in your answer(s).
Apologies! What you did there is exactly what I want but the formula is bringing back blanks, bar one row, which I suspect is the latest date out of all the dates in the spreadsheet. This is having replaced your columns with my actual columns within the formula.

I am unable to upload add-ins as it is blocked by my employer. It seems to not be recognising the value groupings and instead, is flagging the latest date out of all entries.

Upvote 0
I am unable to upload add-ins as it is blocked by my employer.
Another option (though not quite as good) is simply to copy/paste from your Excel into the forum (include your expected results manually entered)

Upvote 0
Apologies! What you did there is exactly what I want but the formula is bringing back blanks, bar one row, which I suspect is the latest date out of all the dates in the spreadsheet. This is having replaced your columns with my actual columns within the formula.

I am unable to upload add-ins as it is blocked by my employer. It seems to not be recognising the value groupings and instead, is flagging the latest date out of all entries.
Ok. Try to analyze the formulas and references from this table, adjusting them in your one on the basis of its different structure. Apart from the suggestion of Peter_SSs, you could upload a (larger) section of your table as file in cloud (e.g. Dropbox), and send its generated link in your message. P.S. When apply formulas, take into account all of them to be edited as array type ( Excel Array formula | Exceljet)

Book1
BCD
2ValuesDatesStatus
3AA12 June 2022 
4CC28 June 2022 
5EE01 September 2022Latest
6BB03 July 2022Latest
7EE11 July 2022 
8VV14 September 2022Latest
9EE04 February 2022 
10AA22 September 2022Latest
11CC30 September 2022Latest
12BB07 January 2022 
13AA03 February 2022 
14VV03 April 2022
15DD05 August 2022Latest
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D15,D3:D13D3=IF(C3=MAX(IF(B3=$B$3:$B$15,$C$3:$C$15,"")),"Latest","")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back