Identifying Conflicting Project Dates

KalleeP

Board Regular
Good Day All

I am creating a spreadsheet to track various training programs, and trying to devise a method to identify if any resource conflicts arise.

I have a Resource name in column E, training start date and end date in columns G & H respectively. I have been trying to set up a formula to check the resource name for duplicates (column E) and if there are any found then verify that the corresponding start and end dates do not conflict. If there is a conflict then output to Column I "Possible Conflict" otherwise jsut leave it blank.

I have been having great difficulties getting my head around this formula and any help would be much appreciated. :oops:

Kallee

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Thats a start, however it seems to have ommitted Row 2 as a conflict. The end date of Row 2 is in conflict with the start date of row 3.

I will keep playing, any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
THis is what i have come up with so far....

1. Check Column E for repetitive Resource Names
2. For each repitition you must check the start and end dates for conflicts
a) if(and(start date >= any other start date, start date <= any other end date),1,0)

b) if(and(end date >= any other start date, end date <= any other end date),1,0)

therefore if the sum of those 2 equations is greater than 0 then there is a possible conflict, however i am not quite sure how to create a formula to check these to conditions against all duplicate Resources names.

ANy thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back